Is this a good staple?

Brit G

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I've read the food item articles here on the tortoise forum. The stressor has been trying to find the items on it!!

For their "Im in a hurry" meal,Here is what I have been feeding my sulcata and leopard tortoise hatchlings: finely chopped mixture of 1 part collard greens, 1 part shredded butternut squash, 1 part grass, and a small amount of flower topping from ZooMed. I vary it with other veggies also thrown in, especially when I get home from work/school and swing by the grocery store or feed stores to look for new options, occasional hibiscus leaf and pumpkin sprout leaves when I can get my hands on them, and once or twice a week, some Mizuri Diet. They each have a cuttlefish bone in their respective enclosures as well.

Would you recommend changing the ratio of this recipe?
These are the foods I'm able to get my hands on; before adding in the collard greens and butternut squash, I was mostly just feeding grass, Mizuri Diet, and pumpkin sprout leaves. Growing my own food has been a huge bomb, but I'm ordering hibiscus and more grass and weeds from other companies, gotta keep trying... I tried windowsill, inside a greenhouse with a heat pad and artificial lights, and outside - very few sprouts! Tried non-additive gardening soil and coconut coir substrates. Still experimenting! Won't stop until I unlock the secrets to growing my own healthier food for them!

I feel much better now that I have all the flowers from the ZooMed flower topper, the cuttlefish bones, and the collard greens. Not sure if the butternut squash is too rich to feed as part of their nutritious breakfast??

I hate to be that person, but I super struggle finding things like hibiscus, dandelions, cactus pads, etc!!

Also, do you guys sprinkle calcium with d3 (or without d3) on food? If so, do you do it with every meal?

Any tips appreciated! (truly trying to find healthier and healthier food that I can have access to!)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I use most of those ingredients, but my ratio of squash is lower. I don't know how to make what I do sensible for a single or a few tortoises. I mix about 1 to 2 cups of grated squash and 1/2 to 1 cup of sweet potato into about 14 heads of chopped greens.

here is the recipe https://kapidolofarms.com/food-and-feeding/

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
I don't have access to Hybiscus or mulberry where I live in Oregon, will be planting some this spring. But found on here that @Will Kapidolo Farms sells a high quality product to add variety and much needed fiber for my Sheldon. I purchased the Broadleaf variety pack and a package of Hybiscus to add in with the grocery store greens for the winter. His favorite is the Moringa leaves. If you go to the sale section on the forum you can find the info to buy the products if you wish. I am so glad I did :):tort: