Is this a Russian Tortoise ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M11

5 Year Member
Hi ,

I bought two tortoises from a pet shop recently. I think that they are russian tortoises, anyone can confirm ?

Also, how big can these species grow and how fast ?

how can i tell how old are they ? and how old they need to get to start laying eggs ?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20120514_121139.jpg
    IMG_20120514_121139.jpg
    809.2 KB · Views: 133

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
No it looks greek to me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi M11:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

No, those are not Russian tortoises. I, like Captain Awesome, think they are either Greek or Hermann's tortoises. I think you DO have a male and female, though, because of the different shapes. I believe the male is the one at the bottom of the picture. If you take some more pictures of the bottom (plastron) someone here on the forum will be able to tell you what species of Greek tortoise you have.

If they are full grown, they should breed and lay eggs as soon as they settle in...could be a couple weeks, could take months.

Are you going to allow them to be outside?

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
M11 said:
Hi ,

I bought two tortoises from a pet shop recently. I think that they are russian tortoises, anyone can confirm ?

Yes, these are Greek tortoises (Testudo graeca), although I'm not sure of which subspecies.

Also, how big can these species grow and how fast ?

In all Testudo species, females get heavier than males, and in all but T. marginata, they get longer, too. Different subspecies of the Greek tortoise attain different sizes, but I think a good rule of thumb would be

Male: 6-8 inches SCL
Female: 8-11 inches SCL

how can i tell how old are they ? and how old they need to get to start laying eggs ?

For wild tortoises whose growth slows down during the winter, you can count major rings on the plastron (bottom shell) to determine age up until about 20 years. If these two are wild-caught, or lived under semi-wild conditions in someone's backyard, then you should be able to use this technique to get an idea of how old they are. If they never hibernated, though, it would be much harder to tell.

I am not sure of their rate of growth, or their minimum age of reproduction. Some other folks here on TFO have experience breeding this species, and should be able to tell you.

M11

5 Year Member
Are you going to allow them to be outside?
yes, I am keeping them in the front yard which is pretty big.

What would you like us to call you?
My name is Musab
...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?
I live in the UAE

I took a photo of the bottom of the female. I did not want to disturbe the male because he was sleeping.

Attachments

• IMG_20120514_201044.jpg
    IMG_20120514_201044.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 41

Paradon

5 Year Member
I think you have a mediteranean spurred tortoise, Testudo graeca ibera. And picture you took looks like a male you are holding.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Not sure... definitely not Ibera as we know- from Balkans and Turkey, super cold winter habitats, hardy tortoises- these are NOT this type.
If they are from the Ibera branch, they have to be a southern form from Middle East.

Status
Not open for further replies.