What species this is?

tortdadruh

Location (City and/or State)
Riyadh
884B4A97-F500-41A5-8D6E-9101CCCA70D6.jpeg

Hi,

Need a little help in identifying this tortoise species. We were looking at a tortoise in a pet shop but the shop keeper was not able to tell us what kind of tortoise this was.

We need to know to estimate how big the tortoise will grow and what to feed it if we buy it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I am not an expert but I believe it is a Hermanns.
I would be cautious buying a baby tort from a petstore. Especially when it does not know what kind of tort it is selling.
If this tort was started to dry it kept in dry conditions for to long it could have "hatchling failure syndrome" later on.
Take a picture of the enclosure that it is being kept in.

tortdadruh

Riyadh
Thanks for the input. We did not see the enclosure. The staff picked it from some other place and brought it in a carrier for us to see.

How do I check if it has been kept in dry conditions too long ?

I am not an expert but I believe it is a Hermanns.
I would be cautious buying a baby tort from a petstore. Especially when it does not know what kind of tort it is selling.
If this tort was started to dry it kept in dry conditions for to long it could have "hatchling failure syndrome" later on.
Take a picture of the enclosure that it is being kept in.

tortdadruh

Riyadh
Shows how much I know! We took only the top side. Will go back to the pet store this weekend and look.

I am just worried that it might be a sulcata and become a 45KG behemoth.

Can you post a picture of the underside, including the tail, of your tortoise please?

JadaJadaJadsa

Decatur Michigan
its bad to get a tortoise from a pet store there mostly always sick or get sick because theres wild caught and not captive born so there full of parasites it would be better to get a tortoise from tortoisesupply.com I have seen lots of good reviews from people that have gotten a pet from them I haven't personally bought one from them tho

JadaJadaJadsa

Decatur Michigan
but then theres plenty of other sites you can order a healthy tortoise from just look around and read reviews from different sites be patent and dont rush because if you rush and get the pet shop tortoise its most likely going to die :(

tortdadruh

Riyadh
Thanks for the note. Unfortunately, we live in Riyadh Saudi Arabia, so I would not want to try and get a tortoise shipped in. Might die in customs.

its bad to get a tortoise from a pet store there mostly always sick or get sick because theres wild caught and not captive born so there full of parasites it would be better to get a tortoise from tortoisesupply.com I have seen lots of good reviews from people that have gotten a pet from them I haven't personally bought one from them tho

JadaJadaJadsa

Decatur Michigan
Thanks for the note. Unfortunately, we live in Riyadh Saudi Arabia, so I would not want to try and get a tortoise shipped in. Might die in customs.
your welcome but it might not people sell tortoises online everywhere and if you order from the right place you get them healthy, alive and you usually get your tortoise the next day after ordering or the day after you never know also if u do get the one from the pet store make sure to take it to the vet so he or she can tell you if theres anything wrong with it and what you can do to help it get better if possible

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, not a sulcata. It's one of the Testudo species, like shown in that link I gave you.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the input. We did not see the enclosure. The staff picked it from some other place and brought it in a carrier for us to see.

How do I check if it has been kept in dry conditions too long ?

This is definitely not a sulcata. Its one of the testudo, probably a greek tortoise, like what Yvonne said.

You can't tell just by looking how this tortoise has been raised. You'll have to ask. It should be on damp substrate, not dry. It should have been getting soaked daily, or at least several times a week. If they say once a week, or never, I wouldn't buy it. Also look at what they've been feeding it. Lettuce? Don't buy. An assortment of weeds and leafy greens? Probably okay then.

Read through these for some more tips. The care sheet says russian tortoises, but care is the same:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
100% a Greek tortoise, looks to be T. g. terrestris but possibly could be T. g. ibera. Need more photos though to determine.