Is this a Sulcata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSaenz

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
La Mirada, CA
Just rescued what I was told was a Sulcata. The lady that gave it to me said she has had it for at least 5 months and it was given to her by somebody else that had it for another few months or so. When I went to pick it up I was expecting it to be closer in size to my 1 year old sulcata's but I was surprised to see how small it was. Can somebody please confirm it is a Sulcata?

I was told that he had a rough start which is why she took him in but soon realized she didn't have enough time to care for him either.

Here are a few pictures if an approximately 8 month old Sulcata (?)

image-821893673.png

Here he is next to my one year old Sulcata

image-1760553084.png

Here he is on the palm of my hand for size comparison.

image-89403159.png

Isn't he adorable!!

image-2611277442.png

image-3964909684.png

Actually I think it looks more like this one but I'm not sure what kind that one is either. I was told that one was already an adult but not sure how old.

Let me know what you think.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
i dont think its a sulcata, looks like a Chaco tort, and smooth good lookin tort. thats a good find! that bigger tort in the last pic also looks like a Chaco, iv only seem a few on here but im sure thats what they looked like.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Hi, you should pm tortadise,aka Kelly Hull, knows everything about identifying chacos. Please keep us posted. :)

DSaenz

10 Year Member!
La Mirada, CA
lovelyrosepetal said:
Hi, you should pm tortadise,aka Kelly Hull, knows everything about identifying chacos. Please keep us posted. :)

Thank you. I will

SulcataSquirt said:
i dont think its a sulcata, looks like a Chaco tort, and smooth good lookin tort. thats a good find! that bigger tort in the last pic also looks like a Chaco, iv only seem a few on here but im sure thats what they looked like.

Thank you.

SulcataSquirt said:

Thank you.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The first one is definitely a sulcata. Could you get a photo of its back legs like a front of its rear? Thats an odd looking one. I havent seen any chacos really dipict those colors. But its looking like one. But more around a 3-5 year old one. Are you correct in knowing the times these people had this tortoise? If it were a chaco it would be much much smaller if it were 8 months old. Even being a sulcata it is a very odd colored one, as well as an odd colored chaco. Snap some more photos of it for me if you could.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, to me it looks like a Gopherus agassizii that has been kept indoors its whole life.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Can someone explain the differences between sulcatas and chacos? I'm curious now.

expo tort

5 Year Member
Chacos are from south America and are relatively rare in the pet trade and sulcatas are from Africa and I think they get bigger.(please correct me if I'm wrong)

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
expo tort said:
Chacos are from south America and are relatively rare in the pet trade and sulcatas are from Africa and I think they get bigger.(please correct me if I'm wrong)

I was wondering about their appearances too since they look so similar to this noob!

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I agree with emysmys, as soon as I saw the picture I knew it was a Gopherus agassizii, desert tortoise, and then it only reassured me when I saw that you live in California. I live in AZ and they are all over the place here and I even raised one for two years.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
No, to me it looks like a Gopherus agassizii that has been kept indoors its whole life.

Totally agree with you Yvonne. In addition, a CDT requires a permit to host the tortoise....you can obtain one with your local CTTC.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.