Is this an ivory leopard?

tortuga33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
I just purchased this hatchling from Tortoise Town as an ivory and paid $279.00. I was expecting one like the ones in their video and photos--this one looks like a normal leopard to me. What do you think? Did they make a mistake??

IMG_8149.JPG IMG_8151.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is my opinion that there is no such thing. Some just happen to have more pattern than others. I think the sun has a lot to do with it too. I'm thinking that you paid a high price for a regular (babcock) leopard.

tortuga33

5 Year Member
Northern California
I think so too, Yvonne :( And I wouldn't want to ship the tiny baby back, so now I'm stuck with another regular babcocki. I think I'll see what they can do in terms or price adjustment.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm sorry to say this, but I think you got taken for a ride.

Looking at the pictures on their website, all I see or normal colored leopards. Funny, one of the pictures used in the "ivory leopard tortoise" page is used in the "normal leopard tortoise" page. They don't provide much of a description about what an ivory leopard tortoise is exactly. The ones pictured look exactly like the 100's of babies I've hatched out over the past few years. They all hatch out very light colored, but after a few days they darken up to a normal color. I don't see anything unique about the pictures they've provided.

Based on just a cursory review of their website, I would say this is nothing more than a gimmick. Did you, by chance, ask for pictures of the producing adults?

tortuga33

5 Year Member
Northern California
Thank you for your input, Neal. Sadly, I did not ask for photos of the adults. I should have known better.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Even if you did, there is no guarantee that the hatchlings will turn out to look anything like the adults unless (possibly) the adults originated from the same area, which would be highly unlikely to have happened in this case or in the average leopard tortoise breeder's collection.

With all the natural variations in leopard tortoise appearance (not to mention influence from environmental conditions, which many of us leopard tortoise people believe cause some variability in shell pattern and color) I would exercise extreme optimism to any sort of claims you come across. It is impossible to tell what one hatchling would end up looking like as an adult. Some hatch out light then grow dark or vice versa. I would recommend doing some research to see if the breeder's claims have proven out from a large number of hatchlings and/or generations.

Last edited:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I wouldn't feel too bad about it. Each leopard tortoise is unique all by itself without any labels attached to it.

Even if you did, there is no guarantee that the hatchlings will turn out to look anything like the adults unless (possibly) the adults originated from the same area, which would be highly unlikely to have happened in this case or in the average leopard tortoise breeder's collection.

With all the natural variations in leopard tortoise appearance (not to mention influence from environmental conditions, which many of us leopard tortoise people believe cause some variability in shell pattern and color) I would exercise extreme optimism to any sort of claims you come across. It is impossible to tell what one hatchling would end up looking like as an adult. Some hatch out light then grow dark or vice versa. I would recommend doing some research to see if the breeder's claims have proven out from a large number of hatchlings and/or generations.

Lol, "extreme optimism". I meant to have said skepticism.

tortuga33

5 Year Member
Northern California
Okay, Tortoise Town just responded to my Facebook message. He says that that the ivory gene isn't expressed until the animal is 6+ mos. old. So, I guess we'll wait and see. I won't be holding my breath, but may be pleasantly surprised?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Okay, Tortoise Town just responded to my Facebook message. He says that that the ivory gene isn't expressed until the animal is 6+ mos. old. So, I guess we'll wait and see. I won't be holding my breath, but may be pleasantly surprised?

Did he show you what to expect? What do the parents look like? From what I know he buys wholesale and resales.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona

Well, I didn't completely spit out my drink but a little shot through my nose after you posted his response, lol.

I don't claim to be an expert on the topic, but I know enough to be confident in telling you that there is no such thing as an ivory leopard tortoise gene. No sort of wildly unique trait exists in leopard tortoises let alone any being perpetuated by any breeder in the US pet trade that have made themselves public. The only thing that may come close are the few true South African variant breeders. Yeah, there are some normal leopards that tend to produce more blonde colors than others, but even that is relatively common. If you don't know about it already, research the Sunset Hypo leopard tortoises that Zovick mentioned. Arguably one of the biggest scams of this nature within the tortoise world.

I'm all for charging as much as one's heart desires for their tortoises, but attaching unfounded labels, especially a term such as "ivory" that is very familiar to a lot of folks, is akin to deception.

If you're still curious, ask him to show you pictures of older animals or any other form of support for his ivory tortoise claims. Otherwise, enjoy your tortoise for what it is, and it sounds like you are already. All leopard tortoises are extremely beautiful, so I think you WILL be pleasantly surprised even with a "normal" leopard.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I raised a lighter colored leopard. Her name was #14 and @wellington has her now. I called her "blonde", but I don't think its a special color morph that I should be charging more for. She was just lighter than "normal".

However this ends up, I wish you many happy years with your very attractive leopard tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm also looking forward to regular updates for the next year or two to see how the color develops. :) :tort: