Is this cactus ok to feed?

Jon c

Location (City and/or State)
Williamsville
I just remembered this thing sprouts every year. It gets yellow flowers? Would these pads be safe to feed a Russian?

0503201801a.jpg0503201801.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, it's edible, however it needs some serious attention. It's water starved and the growing medium may be devoid of nutrients.

Jon c

Williamsville
I'll water it lol. It's been like this at our beach house for the 6 years we've owned it, the cactus came with the place and I'm pretty sure it had already been there for at least 5 years.I'm in buffalo ny it's finally starting to see sun after a long winter, prob why it looks like that. I don't know how it comes back every year, I didn't think cactus could grow around here. We have not done anything to the soil nor sprayed it with any pesticides.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
My russians like it, and they love the flowers and fruit of it too. I would wait until it gets some water and its pads are thicker until feeding though.

Jon c

Williamsville
My russians like it, and they love the flowers and fruit of it too. I would wait until it gets some water and its pads are thicker until feeding though.
Got ya thanks! Yes I will be waiting for fresh growth, it takes off every year.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have that type here. I've never seen it look like that. I was going to ask if it froze or something. Then I read Buffalo. Ahhh... Yeah. It froze.

Do those wrinkled up pads recover, or does it grow new pads from the underground roots that didn't freeze as bad?

I use pliers and pull all the big spines off of each pad. Be prepared for glochids to rain down as you do it.

Jon c

Williamsville
I have that type here. I've never seen it look like that. I was going to ask if it froze or something. Then I read Buffalo. Ahhh... Yeah. It froze.

Do those wrinkled up pads recover, or does it grow new pads from the underground roots that didn't freeze as bad?

I use pliers and pull all the big spines off of each pad. Be prepared for glochids to rain down as you do it.
It's weird the fresh growth comes up from the roots and pops right out of the old stuff. The things a tank. When it starts growing again I'll transplant some and take it back home so I can nurse a new one. Ha ha that's funny! I was wondering about that. Wasn't sure if I cut into the middle and serve the flesh part or pull the needles and feed whole. Thanks team! I love TF