is this comercial food good for sulcata (8 month old)

eric joranson

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
All Living Things Tortoise Diet....small colored pellets. always ignored if presented dry Well today I decided to soak these and make a some mash piles...and he/she loved it; ignoring the greens I presented with it. Added more and devoured it all. Now since nothing comes easy; I figure there has to be something wrong here....too much Fructose; or other ingredients. If you are unfamiliar with it; I will post the make up and %s . Just hoping someone here is already familiar with it. The label says Tortoise; but as we all know; no 2 species of tortoises are alike in their dietary needs. Even if its safe to feed; like all food sources I give him; I vary each day.....3-5 mixtures of grasses; cactus pads; and pellets. So it would be one of the sources he would get 2-3 times a week. If not; I will just add it to the special trees lost.....if bad; I'll toss it out tonight.

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
All Living Things Tortoise Diet....small colored pellets. always ignored if presented dry Well today I decided to soak these and make a some mash piles...and he/she loved it; ignoring the greens I presented with it. Added more and devoured it all. Now since nothing comes easy; I figure there has to be something wrong here....too much Fructose; or other ingredients. If you are unfamiliar with it; I will post the make up and %s . Just hoping someone here is already familiar with it. The label says Tortoise; but as we all know; no 2 species of tortoises are alike in their dietary needs. Even if its safe to feed; like all food sources I give him; I vary each day.....3-5 mixtures of grasses; cactus pads; and pellets. So it would be one of the sources he would get 2-3 times a week. If not; I will just add it to the special trees list.....if bad; I'll toss it out tonight.[/QUOTE That of course should read "special treats list"...not trees list......

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
some here don't like the commercial pellets, expecially the colored ones. I don't mind them as a way to get vitamins and minerals and calcium with D3 to a tortoise. This diet is low protein but also pretty low in fiber. So that's the biggest drawback. With plenty of fiber provided in addition, it is fine. I don't use this particular brand, but see not problem with it as a part of the diet you mention. I will use Mazuri and Rep Cal Tortoise and mash it up like you did, putting it on top of the day's greens, weeds, and grasses. My sulcatas love it and as I said, I use it like a multi vitamin for them.

This brand has about 9% protein and 12% fiber. But keep in mind those numbers are for a dry food. If you compared the numbers for endive, or grape leaves, mulberry, etc. and dried them to 6% moisture - you'd have even higher protein %'s