Is this Dome fitting any good?

pippin

Location (City and/or State)
Preston uk
Morning Everyone. Is this combination suitable as a basking light?

Attachments

• 17173200901085923407401798888869.jpg
    17173200901085923407401798888869.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
As far as I remember it's wide enough and that's good. Only one thing was concerning - how bright it glows in the dark and how long. I suggest to give it a try. It could make a great fixture for a ceramic heat emitter in any case.

pippin

Preston uk
Hi Alex. The packageing dosent specify HOW long it stays warm for? But I intended using it indoors for shelly and will be switched off before bed. Outdoors I'm planning on putting just a plain holder with the bulb in her box for days when temps a little cooler for her to .bask. I'm also putting a ceramic thermostatically controlled tube in the box for night time ambient heat when the light will be switched off and she will be closed in.(summer only) is this OK?
Similar to Tom's box pic.

pippin

Preston uk
If its suitable for ambient heat as well as a basking bulb could I potentially use it in her box and just switch the bulb out day for night?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If its suitable for ambient heat as well as a basking bulb could I potentially use it in her box and just switch the bulb out day for night?

The idea behind the glow dome is interesting, but if its bright enough to do anything, its probably more for humans to see the animal than the animal itself. I'd probably not use and try to keep the enclosure as dark as possible at night.

I wouldn't swap bulbs because moving the bulb and screwing/unscrewing just increases the likelihood of damaging it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why would you want it to glow in the dark? What purpose does that serve?

I don't think it will hurt anything, but it certainly isn't necessary. I would run it if I didn't have anything else, but I wouldn't buy it on purpose.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I don't think it will hurt anything, but it certainly isn't necessary. I would run it if I didn't have anything else, but I wouldn't buy it on purpose.
Quite often the fixture brands mfg'd for animals have the inside of the dome coated with a glow in the dark substance. Who knows what passes through their minds when inventing that stuff! It's probably just a gimmick. Doesn't serve any purpose.

I can't tell from the packaging what the dome size is. I like to use 10" or better. Incidentally, you can purchase the porcelain base fixtures much cheaper from home improvement stores or hardware stores. A product mfg'd strictly for reptiles always has a higher price tag, even though it's the very same fixture from the hardware store.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi Alex. The packageing dosent specify HOW long it stays warm for? But I intended using it indoors for shelly and will be switched off before bed. Outdoors I'm planning on putting just a plain holder with the bulb in her box for days when temps a little cooler for her to .bask. I'm also putting a ceramic thermostatically controlled tube in the box for night time ambient heat when the light will be switched off and she will be closed in.(summer only) is this OK?
Similar to Tom's box pic.
I would give it a try. The dome is covered with flourescent coating which glows at night (often seen such things in kids bedrooms). If it gives too bright light for 3-4 hours (I doubt it), this may disturb your tortoise sleep. So let it run for a 12 hours with a basking lamp then turn off and watch how long it fades out.

Thermostat with ceramic heater is fine. Using just a holder without dome may be less effective - but once again, check it. Ceramic heat emitters aren't good at projecting heat below and it depends on box height and insulation how good it works.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Quite often the fixture brands mfg'd for animals have the inside of the dome coated with a glow in the dark substance. Who knows what passes through their minds when inventing that stuff! It's probably just a gimmick. Doesn't serve any purpose.

I can't tell from the packaging what the dome size is. I like to use 10" or better. Incidentally, you can purchase the porcelain base fixtures much cheaper from home improvement stores or hardware stores. A product mfg'd strictly for reptiles always has a higher price tag, even though it's the very same fixture from the hardware store.
This one is 21cm (8 inch). The largest in this series is 25 cm (10 inch). I've checked online stores in UK a while ago - and this particular dome was the only available option (the largest of domes in stock, hardware and farming supplies stores included).

pippin

Preston uk

T.Y. that clears up a few things . I bought it when I couldn't find a ceramic dome light in our largest D.I.Y. store here in the UK. I'm beggining to wish I hadn't! The clamp failed first time. of use whilst I was setting it up (as you predicted Tom and I hadn't read that bit ) and nearly set fire to the enclosure! Luckily tort wasn't in! Too late now, lesson learned. I will only use it inside on cooler days (hung not clamped!) until I sort something else for winter if I don't bruminate her. Will just a fitting with an Arcadia bulb and timer (no dome) suffice for daytime basking in her box on cooler days outside? With a heater on a thermostat for night (no light)? Sent for new thermometers today too.

pippin

Preston uk
I would give it a try. The dome is covered with flourescent coating which glows at night (often seen such things in kids bedrooms). If it gives too bright light for 3-4 hours (I doubt it), this may disturb your tortoise sleep. So let it run for a 12 hours with a basking lamp then turn off and watch how long it fades out.

Thermostat with ceramic heater is fine. Using just a holder without dome may be less effective - but once again, check it. Ceramic heat emitters aren't good at projecting heat below and it depends on box height and insulation how good it works.
Thanks Alex. In the distinct absence of anything else and the fact I've forked out for it I will have to use for now. Will sort something else for winter. When i ran it indoors (appart from the disastrous clamp fail!) it reached 90f at 10 inch height with a 75w bulb, is this ok? I've insulated all her box with polystyrene then foil then lined again in ply , so well insulated! Not wired in heater and light yet so she's brought inside at night for now. Will a normal plastic screw in light fitting do for her basking bulb or is it safer to be ceramic? And is a strip type heater with built in stat ok for night heat?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thanks Alex. In the distinct absence of anything else and the fact I've forked out for it I will have to use for now. Will sort something else for winter. When i ran it indoors (appart from the disastrous clamp fail!) it reached 90f at 10 inch height with a 75w bulb, is this ok? I've insulated all her box with polystyrene then foil then lined again in ply , so well insulated! Not wired in heater and light yet so she's brought inside at night for now. Will a normal plastic screw in light fitting do for her basking bulb or is it safer to be ceramic? And is a strip type heater with built in stat ok for night heat?
I’ll allow Alex to answer your other questions, but as for the plastic fitting, definitely go for a ceramic one, the plastic ones will discolour and potentially emit fumes over time with how hot the basking bulbs get, the ceramics also eliminates any fire risks. Hope this helps🙂

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
You need to reach 95-105F at the basking spot. Leave the thermometer probe for a couple of hours and check the temperature (it raises slowly after some threshold).

Ceramic sockets are safer, however basking bulbs don't reach very high temperatures (opposite to ceramic heat emitters) and standard bakelite (plastic) sockets should last for a while. Just check that it's rated for sufficient wattage (I presume it's related to wiring as well).

Can you post a link to a strip heater? Never heard of them before. As for the built-in thermostat - it's better to leave it as an emergency shutdown mechanism (set to higher temperature) and couple with a reptile thermostat - this will give more precise and reliable temperature control.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Ceramic sockets are safer, however basking bulbs don't reach very high temperatures (opposite to ceramic heat emitters) and standard bakelite (plastic) sockets should last for a while. Just check that it's rated for sufficient wattage (I presume it's related to wiring as well).
The plastic one used in squirts enclosure did last a long time to its credit, so perhaps it would be ok, but it looked very questionable and discoloured by the time we upgraded to the ceramics, I’ve read they can be a potential fire hazard too but I’m always overly cautious haha

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just a thought. You could probably paint the inside of the dome with a heat resistant paint. This would cover the glow paint.
In the future, if you can, buy a bigger dome, never smaller then 10 inches, always a ceramic socket and not with glow paint.
Always ceramic socket just keeps the guessing game out of the equation. Anything you would be using is safe in a ceramic socket.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The plastic one used in squirts enclosure did last a long time to its credit, so perhaps it would be ok, but it looked very questionable and discoloured by the time we upgraded to the ceramics, I’ve read they can be a potential fire hazard too but I’m always overly cautious haha
The ceramic is always better with any heat source, specially with how long they are left on. It just makes it safer and takes guessing out of the equation whether a certain bulb, etc, is okay in a plastic socket. Using ceramic makes it safe.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
The ceramic is always better with any heat source, specially with how long they are left on. It just makes it safer and takes guessing out of the equation whether a certain bulb, etc, is okay in a plastic socket. Using ceramic makes it safe.
Yeah I agree! It was purchased long before I met her, I suggested the ceramics for the same reasons😊

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you everyone. Learning on the ground ! 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️@Littlefootbigredheart...do you leave Squirt out at night or bring her in?
She has a large indoor enclosure day and night, we’re working on a summer enclosure for her to have some more roaming time outside during the warmer months, unfortunately with how the garden is situated it doesn’t get much sun so it just doesn’t stay warm enough for long, she can’t really spend super long periods out there which is a shame, but we try get her out there as much as possible in the warmer weather😊we currently have to follow her around like her own personal bodyguards mind😂so can’t wait to get an outside area on the go😁

pippin

Preston uk
She has a large indoor enclosure day and night, we’re working on a summer enclosure for her to have some more roaming time outside during the warmer months, unfortunately with how the garden is situated it doesn’t get much sun so it just doesn’t stay warm enough for long, she can’t really spend super long periods out there which is a shame, but we try get her out there as much as possible in the warmer weather😊we currently have to follow her around like her own personal bodyguards mind😂so can’t wait to get an outside area on the go😁
Good luck! We are still trying to tweak ours , 3 weeks after getting her! Trying desperately to get it right. Made one enclosure and it didn't get enough sun. So we had to go back to drawing board and move it. Now trying to get a night box running with a basking lamp and over night heat. Don't know if it's a bit ambitious /doable in one box but trying to follow Tom's early model. The hardest thing has been sourcing the right light/heat. I've already made my first mistake with my basking lamp.🤦‍♀️it's so hard here in UK to get them outside with our VERY unpredictable weather isn't it?