Is this normal?

Tortuoises

Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
My indian star tortoise was slightly moving his forearm and its head back and forward repeatedly. I also noticed that when it is walking, it is dragging its hind legs. And one more thing, I see white solid thing came out from it, that white thing is surrounded by liquid, i assume that liquid is its urine. Is this all normal?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The hind leg dragging might not be normal, I'd have to see it, but the front legs moving when they breathe is perfectly normal.

The urates that came out with the pee should be creamy. When it gets gritty or hard, it means the tortoise is dehydrated.

Tortuoises

Malaysia
Ok thanks. I will take a photo once it started dragging its leg. It drags its hind legs rarely. Will soaking it in shallow water get them hydrated?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, depending on age, it should be soaked daily in warm water for 20-30 minutes, for two years old and under. Over two at least every other day for a couple years or so then it can be cut back from there. Be sure it's getting enough room to roam. If kept in too small of an enclosure, this, among other things can affect the legs.

Tortuoises

Malaysia
sleeping while hind legs are not retracted, is this the same situation of "hind legs dragging"?IMAG0526.jpg