Is this normal?

Blondefondew

My sully is thriving and gaining weight, we weighs a whopping 43 grams today! I am concerned about his shell, maybe it's just growth but his lines seem really thick? ( I should know the name of these but I don't!) I am posting a side by side picture, 1 month ago and today. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or not?

Attachments

• IMG_9467.jpg
    IMG_9467.jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 46

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
My sully is thriving and gaining weight,Can anyone tell me if this is normal or not?
Blondefondew, you answered your own question in your question. I simply cleaned it up some for you. Sit back to a nice, healthy bowl of Häagen-Dazs® brand chocolate ice cream and consider it a reward for a job well done.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Growth looks fine, but do you wants us to go over your housing and temps with you?

Blondefondew

Growth looks fine, but do you wants us to go over your housing and temps with you?
I think I'm ok with that but always open to suggestions to better his quality of life. :) I keep his temp 80-85 and humidity around 80. He lives in a large baby pool in our screened in porch and gets Florida sunshine everyday! He comes in at night for dinner and a night/heat lamp. Every morning before breakfast he gets a 30 minute soak, I freshen the water every 10 minutes to keep him warm, lol, then he goes out provided it's warm enough. He has a hide, food, grass and water in a flower pot bottom. I grow his own grass and he gets a mix of fresh veggies with occasional fruit.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think I'm ok with that but always open to suggestions to better his quality of life. :) I keep his temp 80-85 and humidity around 80. He lives in a large baby pool in our screened in porch and gets Florida sunshine everyday! He comes in at night for dinner and a night/heat lamp. Every morning before breakfast he gets a 30 minute soak, I freshen the water every 10 minutes to keep him warm, lol, then he goes out provided it's warm enough. He has a hide, food, grass and water in a flower pot bottom. I grow his own grass and he gets a mix of fresh veggies with occasional fruit.

-Outside all day is not good for babies, even in your part of the world. Indoors in a warm closed chamber works best, until they gain some size. My general rule is an hour of outside time per inch of tortoise. Once they hit 8-10" they can live outside full time.

-Veggies and fruit are not a good diet. Give this a read through:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Blondefondew

-Outside all day is not good for babies, even in your part of the world. Indoors in a warm closed chamber works best, until they gain some size. My general rule is an hour of outside time per inch of tortoise. Once they hit 8-10" they can live outside full time.

-Veggies and fruit are not a good diet. Give this a read through:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

I should have been more in depth about his daily routine and diet. He's not outside in the full sun all day, just am hour before work then he goes under the porch for shade or inside. I alternate depending in weather. :)
I think I mentioned I grass his own grass, it's a special sulcata blend I bought online. I cut fresh for him everyday and mix it all in with his other veggies. We are moving in a month I will grow other things too. I don't trust picking random weeds because I do not know if they have pesticide on them or not. He gets two softened Mazuri pellets every night for dinner. I pick fresh hibiscus every other week and try to keep his diet as varied as I Can! Thanks for the reply :)