This is Nadine

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I think she is doing well with my set up. I have used this for a long time starting with my other torts and my boxies. The challenge will start when she outgrows anything else I have raised.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I think she is doing well with my set up. I have used this for a long time starting with my other torts and my boxies. The challenge will start when she outgrows anything else I have raised.
And then it becomes easier. Once you move them outside permanently with the perfect outside enclosure, they take care of themselves.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
And then it becomes easier. Once you move them outside permanently with the perfect outside enclosure, they take care of themselves.
Well, that will never happen here. The subzero temps for several months makes that hard.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Well, that will never happen here. The subzero temps for several months makes that hard.
Oh, yes, I forgot you weren't in a warm area. It is challenging to raise a sulcata in that environment but it can be done. I'll be interested to see how you do it.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Oh, yes, I forgot you weren't in a warm area. It is challenging to raise a sulcata in that environment but it can be done. I'll be interested to see how you do it.
I have some large buildings here. I am going to look into converting a 2400 sq foot one into tortoise quarters for the winter. I insulated and heated another one, a 1600 sq ft one, but it has a concrete floor.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I do have contacts that make animals exhibits professionally, I will probably discuss it with them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have some large buildings here. I am going to look into converting a 2400 sq foot one into tortoise quarters for the winter. I insulated and heated another one, a 1600 sq ft one, but it has a concrete floor.

All my winter tortoise sheds have concrete floors. I buy the rubber horse stall mats and fit them over the floors:

tenderfoot-stall-mat-usage2.jpg

They're about 4'x6' and about 3/4" thick. My feed store sells them for $39 each.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
All my winter tortoise sheds have concrete floors. I buy the rubber horse stall mats and fit them over the floors:

tenderfoot-stall-mat-usage2.jpg

They're about 4'x6' and about 3/4" thick. My feed store sells them for $39 each.
I was thinking about those as well, but not sure that is the best or not. The 2400sf building is still dirt floor, so have lots of options.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
She is 84 grams today. She has officially doubled in size since I got her.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Nadine has discovered burrowing. I have a half log type hide. I had one end tipped into the substrate on an angle. This is her humid hide. This morning she decided she wanted more room and excavated the interior and there are now two burms on either side of the entrance. She is now sitting half in the entrance looking out seemingly very proud of herself. She is covered in fine coco coir.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was thinking about those as well, but not sure that is the best or not. The 2400sf building is still dirt floor, so have lots of options.

I've always wanted to try the under-the-floor hot water heat. A couple different ways - copper tubing with hot water running through it embedded in cement, or using the heated floor panels they make for bathrooms.

https://www.thermosoft.com/radiant-floor-heating/TT5-120?gclid=CNSR8OiVsM4CFQaRfgod8cgCkg

But that's a pipe dream, as there's no water ($$) in the well (wallet).

Fredkas

5 Year Member
About time for update i think.. with pic of course :D

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
She has become an eating machine. She now seems to eat whatever you give her. She will eat your fingers if you put them near her face. She will eat USB cables. She will eat her bathtub. She will eat the couch. She tries to eat everything.

For food she is up to 2 Mazuri pellets, 1 Grassland pellet and two piles of greens every day. She empties the plate on both feedings each day. I am going to introduce hay.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
She has become an eating machine. She now seems to eat whatever you give her. She will eat your fingers if you put them near her face. She will eat USB cables. She will eat her bathtub. She will eat the couch. She tries to eat everything.

For food she is up to 2 Mazuri pellets, 1 Grassland pellet and two piles of greens every day. She empties the plate on both feedings each day. I am going to introduce hay.
OH... MY.... GOD.....!!!!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Wow!
2 grams since Monday!
Or has she not pooped today ?;)
Glad to see she's doing so well. :)