This is Nadine

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
She is a character, too. I am really enjoying her. I have started her new tank to move her out of her starter tank (Some may disagree, but I like to start off my reptiles in smaller tanks where they have food, water and a very controlled climate all very close by). She will be moving into a 40 breeder over the next week, spending more time in it each day.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
A couple of days ago, Nadine was biting at my video camera. It is red and the size of a cell phone. I thought she was trying to eat it, but the bites were kinda fast. Last night, she found my cell phone, began head bobbing and started ramming it! She thinks she is a lot bigger than she is. Funny, she would pull back then go forward fast with her head pulled in and you heard "tick... tick... tick..." each time she hit it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I clicked on this thread and had to jump back as the accordion-folded picture case came tumbling out towards me! I have to admit, you're a very proud papa! Do your friends roll their eyes and make excuses when the see you coming?

I like Nadine's brown head. That's quite different-looking. I'm a big fan of the aberrant scutes, and now I'm also a fan of the chocolate-colored skin. I hope you continue to show us pictures as Nadine develops.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
No one runs yet. Then again, my friends tend to love animals too. We generally exchange stories.

I think her head may be due to something at the breeder, substrate or something. As she sheds skin, the new spots are lighter. This is my first sulcata.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I have noticed the grooves around the split scutes seem deeper than the others, or at least fill in slower during growth. Humidity in her tank has been 99% lately since the dew point has been but a few degrees below the temperature here in WI. It is sticky! Must be our monsoon season :D

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
60 grams today. We tried regular Mazuri today, she ate quite a bit of it with dandelion leaves, plantain and clover petals mixed in.

I tell you what, if you want to get calcium into a tort, powder up a clover flower. It is like hiding a pill in peanut butter for your dog.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Her new tank is almost complete. Brought back the log hide, buried it a bit to make it flip proof, added some grapewood pieces and will transfer her stuff from old tank to round it out. Cut foil insulation to cover screen to keep in moisture, with cut outs for lights and heat. Should give me several months to work on the next bigger cage!

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Nadine seems to no longer want to flip over in her hide. Instead, her new game is to walk around while inside it, moving it about her enclosure wearing it like a second shell. The fun never stops.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Nadine, 51 grams today. Think I weigh her too much? LOL
View attachment 178862
hi Brian, your little Nadine is absolutely ADORABLE! And I can definitely see a very proud Tort Parent in your post:) Enjoy her! She is just precious!!! I love sulcata! Wish I could keep one but live in subdivision on a lot that's not even 1/2 acre. My backyard is just not that big, so we have decided to go with the RF. I always love looking at the sulcata pictures.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Forgot to turn the mic down, had it up on high. Sound like I have bad asthma!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
She is a cutie! I see that you are covering your tank same way I do, using Reflictix. Isn't it just the best?! I've loved my 40 gal tank. It's been perfect for those babies' first year. And this is how my tank was evolving. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468768473.625225.jpg from barren "substrate, food/water dish, hides and couple of generic plants" ....... through this: ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468768867.525811.jpg some emphasis on esthetics (haha! used background paper of the breeder tank that came with it:)). And then this: ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468769030.905706.jpg got these for protein option in the babies diet but they showed no interest so I decided to let the worms loose in the tank and that was the beginning of my BIO-substrate adventure. Then it just kept getting better bcs I knew what I was doing (sorta:)) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468769198.238057.jpg changed the background, added more plants and moss, addeed more plants, created hills/valleys/caves in substrate, got fogger which I btw love , plus few digital thermo-hygrometers of different kinds to put in different spots of the tank. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468769778.617444.jpg and LOVE that Reflectix!!! I'm very happy to see you are using fish tank for your baby. To me that's been the best/easiest way to keep mine warm/humid

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
It is working well, holding humidity. I am unsure about plants as she eats everything. She'd eat my cell phone, let alone a plant. I want to get rid of the hamster hide next with something better. It is too see thru I think. She gets in it and was flipping over, but now she just moves it. The ceramic half log I have buried is nice, she likes that but I have it on the cooler end. Would like another on the warmer side. But, alas, I can't find another like it!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Nadine seems to no longer want to flip over in her hide. Instead, her new game is to walk around while inside it, moving it about her enclosure wearing it like a second shell. The fun never stops.
Charlie does this too with the lawn furniture! Sometimes we find our teak lounge chairs in the middle of the lawn, and those things are heavy!