What is this ridge?

AZSid

So Remington is approximately 5 months and 1 week old. She weighs 182 grams after a thorough system cleanse of peeing all over my phone and defecating in her nightly bath. My concern is this ridge that is running vertically down the center of her shell. What is it? Why is it there? Is it going to get worse? Is there anything I am doing that is causing this or something I can do to stop it from further forming? It does run straight from her head to her tail though it is more pronounced in the front.12498610_944482675642429_945826970_n.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Its normal. Its more pronounced in some than others, but its not a problem and there is nothing to do about it. It becomes less noticeable as they gain size.

Your baby looks great, by the way. All that new growth looks perfect.

AZSid

Thank you :D I was really worried! I thought I was doing something wrong that would possibly cause her pain if it continued. Good to know that she's okay and has your approval.

She would have never turned out looking like this if I hadn't found this place and your care sheets! Everything we found when we first got her said an open tort table and limited feeding. Thankfully I found you guys within a few weeks and we got things set right! I'm super excited to say she is completely off the store bought veggies and relies solely on what can be found in the yard mixed with Zoomed Grassland. Eating approximately 2 cups of fed food a day and whatever she grazes on outside. She has gained 82 grams in the past 72 days! I suspect it would have been even more, but it's been super rainy here for the last week and we haven't gotten any outside time and thus, no free roam grazing.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Many chelonians possess a vertebral keel in their shell. Some aquatic species have very pronounced keels. I've noticed this in some of my baby Sulcatas and thought it a slight remnant of that keel trait. Always did go away with growth.