Is this normal?

Nisi

Location (City and/or State)
New York
My 3 year old Leo I was just checking on her and she was sleeping and I woke her up. I noticed that she kept opening her mouth , then she yawned. Just want to make sure the opening and closing of the mouth is normal .. I have a video but it won’t let me post.

Thanks
Denise

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have never woke my tortoise up. Yawning is okay they do yawn. Yawning consist of opening mouth. It's really hard to say. If she's fine in the morning and isnt gasping for air or acting like something is stuck in her mouth then I wouldn't worry.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
My 3 year old Leo I was just checking on her and she was sleeping and I woke her up. I noticed that she kept opening her mouth , then she yawned. Just want to make sure the opening and closing of the mouth is normal .. I have a video but it won’t let me post.

Thanks
Denise

Regarding your video. You need to first upload to YouTube, then once posted, copy the URL here to the forum in your postings.

Ps - yawning is pretty normal. Our Sully does that. Long morning yawns as he moves from his sleeping mode to the entrance of his hide.

Nisi

New York
I have never woke my tortoise up. Yawning is okay they do yawn. Yawning consist of opening mouth. It's really hard to say. If she's fine in the morning and isnt gasping for air or acting like something is stuck in her mouth then I wouldn't worry.

Do to my work schedule, I was cleaning her cage and then getting ready to do her daily soak. So when I was moving things around I woke her up. Poor thing has to deal with me LOL. I know yawning is normal, I just never seen her open her mouth a couple times and her breathing out of her nose has a whistling sound. While the mouth is closed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would get the heat up to 85 all over day and night and dont let it go lower. Keep the proper basking spot. Just incase the little noises turn into something else the higher temps should keep it in check.
Keep the temps higher until the noises go away and then for another week or two after that.
I have heard my torts make that noise here and there and nothing has ever come of it. Thry are always kept in very warm temps.

Nisi

New York
I would get the heat up to 85 all over day and night and dont let it go lower. Keep the proper basking spot. Just incase the little noises turn into something else the higher temps should keep it in check.
Keep the temps higher until the noises go away and then for another week or two after that.
I have heard my torts make that noise here and there and nothing has ever come of it. Thry are always kept in very warm temps.

Ok thank you, I have CHE on both side of the enclose set at 90 then her basking spot in dead center.

As she getting bigger from top of shell to light how many inches should the light be away from her? For her powersun light ( basking light)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I like to temp the ground by them or their feet and make sure the temp of them is 80 or very close to it. That then should make their top shell around 95-110 or so. Even upper 70's at their feet is fine if the top shell area is too hot.
If you dont have a point and shoot temp gun get one. They are cheap. Around 10 bucks. They instantly read temps and are a cheap great tool too have.

Nisi

New York
I like to temp the ground by them or their feet and make sure the temp of them is 80 or very close to it. That then should make their top shell around 95-110 or so. Even upper 70's at their feet is fine if the top shell area is too hot.
If you dont have a point and shoot temp gun get one. They are cheap. Around 10 bucks. They instantly read temps and are a cheap great tool too have.

Thank you, I have a heat gun and love it!

We are building a bigger enclosure for her now. So I want to make sure my lighting it right on point.