Is this safe?

Jessicat

Location (City and/or State)
London
My Russian tortoise is about 4 months old and digs alot, I gave him some extra bedding so he had more room to dig but for the last 2 days he seems to be lying head first in the holes he is digging. He always lies in his holes however not normally like this. Is this dangerous for him? Should I remove some of the bedding?

Attachments

• IMG_20220726_181910_385.jpg
    IMG_20220726_181910_385.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220726-200027_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220726-200027_Gallery.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 7

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would add more substrate inside & wet the substrate down a bit. Enclosure looks small & too dry.

How are your temperatures? It might be trying to find a cooler location. Do you have a hide? Sunken water dish? Space?

Good luck.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Mine does that too. I honestly think its a bit of "ostrich" syndrome. "My head is covered, its the best I'm going to get, so I'll take it." but if you can give them enough substrate to dig fully into that would be best

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Lol! Little rascal. I'm thinking along the same lines as maro2bear - digging to find shelter but the substrate isn't deep enough or moist enough.

Bear in mind that baby tortoises are prey. They know they need to be under cover to be safe. So towards that end a couple caves, some plants, maybe a boulder. . .some sight barriers would make him feel more settled.

Jessicat

London
I would add more substrate inside & wet the substrate down a bit. Enclosure looks small & too dry.

How are your temperatures? It might be trying to find a cooler location. Do you have a hide? Sunken water dish? Space?

Good luck.
The enclosure is pretty big and he has plenty of room further around, I think he just likes that corner most as it's closest to the light. He has 20L of orchid bark and a hide which he sleeps in. He has a sunken water dish but he doesn't really use it often. I'm bathing him everyday as I was on another thread that helps. I've seen that wetting the bark can cause mould? Temps about 32

Jessicat

London
Lol! Little rascal. I'm thinking along the same lines as maro2bear - digging to find shelter but the substrate isn't deep enough or moist enough.

Bear in mind that baby tortoises are prey. They know they need to be under cover to be safe. So towards that end a couple caves, some plants, maybe a boulder. . .some sight barriers would make him feel more settled.
Yeah he has a log which he sleeps under, he's gone completely underneath now, think he was just struggling to find the bottom haha

Jessicat

London
Mine does that too. I honestly think its a bit of "ostrich" syndrome. "My head is covered, its the best I'm going to get, so I'll take it." but if you can give them enough substrate to dig fully into that would be best
Yes, he's gone completely underneath now and I'm playing spot the tortoise haha. Think he was just finding his feet with the extra bedding

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
20L is small. Think about enlarging soon. An adult Russian needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot. Just because they are a small species doesn't mean they don't need a large space
The temps need to be 95-100F basking.
Then 75-80F every place else. Heat can be off at night as long as it doesn't go below 60F.
Humidity needs to be 80% for a young one. With correct temps there should be no mold. In an open top enclosure it will be hard to keep the temp and humidity where it needs to be.
Make changes ASAP. Read the caresheet under the Mediterranean species section.