Is this safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedyGontortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I planted several different seeds (crimson clover, grazing tortoise seed mix, bermuda grass and clover with chicory) in my tortoises' outdoor enclosures. I was excited to see things growing really well. And then this week I noticed these mushrooms growing. Are these safe for the tortoises (Greek, Redfoot and CDT)?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1372991731.981554.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1372991767.578989.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1372991799.180617.jpg

I would appreciate any insight anyone might have. I don't want to put them in their enclosures unless it is safe for them.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I'm afraid one would have to be a mycologist to determine if those mushrooms are toxic. However, torts usually know what's safe to eat if given many options of things they CAN eat and will tend to avoid stuff that'll make 'em sick. When in doubt, keep pulling the shrooms out. Just know that if you have mushrooms now, chances are you'll probably keep finding them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Many mushrooms are perfectly safe. Many others are deadly toxic. They often look alike. I would pull them out, trash them, and then wash your hands thoroughly.

SpeedyGontortoise

5 Year Member
So Cal
Thanks for the replies. I have been pulling them out. But it seems as soon as I pull one out, more pop up. So frustrating.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That should stop mid July or August. Happens every year here in June for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.