Is this shell rot?

Lunetta

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Hello, this is my Russian tortoise, George. I have noticed that he is slowly getting discoloration on his shell.

Is this shell rot?

Attachments

• PXL_20230208_045037103.jpg
    PXL_20230208_045037103.jpg
    978 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20230208_045026866.jpg
    PXL_20230208_045026866.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello, this is my Russian tortoise, George. I have noticed that he is slowly getting discoloration on his shell.

Is this shell rot?
It is not shell rot. It looks more like the upper part of the shell has been fading and drying out, possibly due to extreme heat causing burning of the keratin layer.

How long have you had this animal? Is there a heat lamp or CHE above the tortoise in its enclosure? If so, maybe it would be good to raise it up to a spot further from the tortoise's shell.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes the UVB is next to the heat lamp, it's a 2 bulb holder
I was afraid of that.
I don't think anyone else caught it. Those "screw in" coiled, or looped compact florescent bulbs are bad news. They provide little useful UVB except in a tiny area. And the way they project that light causes serious eye issues.
A T5 HO linear strip florescent tube is what you need. From Arcadia or Reptisun.

The other bad bulb that we see all of the time. ...that pet shops sell and that fo nothing well are the MVB that claim to be a heat lamp, UVA and UVB light. ALL IN ONE.
They dry out the tortoises shell carapace and don't produce reliable or consistent levels of UVB.
Can you photograph what you're using? We can guide you and get everything figured out.
There's a TON of great information here:

Lunetta

Georgia
Heres a picture of the bulbs, if that's what you meant

And I'll definitely checkout arcadia and reptisun for what is needed

Attachments

• PXL_20230209_0251210012.jpg
    PXL_20230209_0251210012.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Heres a picture of the bulbs, if that's what you meant

And I'll definitely checkout arcadia and reptisun for what is needed
Please read the link that ZEROPILOT left for you. There is a lot of bad tortoise care info out in the world and that thread will help you. At the end of the thread is a care sheet for your temperate species.

Lunetta

Georgia
I have just read through it I feel so bad I wish I found these forums for tortoise care info before reading all the other info online, I will be buying better things for him!

Reactions: Tom

zovick

10 Year Member!
I have just read through it I feel so bad I wish I found these forums for tortoise care info before reading all the other info online, I will be buying better things for him!
Don't worry too much. You have found this forum and the tortoise has no permanent damage that I can see. Good luck getting everything set up correctly.

Last edited: