Is this the start of pyramiding? :(

koopa82

5 Year Member
Hi All,
This is Koopa and I bought him at a pet shop 8 months ago here in Malaysia.
I've taken care of him based on all the recommendations here in TortForum, thank God for TortForum- the pet shop owner didnt even mention anything about soaks or misting!
So he undergoes daily soaks and frequents misting, his enclosure is an aquarium with a heat lamp and we use orchid bark and soil as substrate. we incorporate calcium in his diet every now and then and he always has a piece of cuttlebone in his enclosure. It's generally very humid in Malaysia but i still mist down his tank every day.

He seems to be starting to pyramid- pls refer to picture. Am I just bring paranoid? Other than that he is a healthy and happy boy..

ImageUploadedByTortForum1386560524.559625.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1386560547.180245.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, he is pyramiding. Can you get a gauge, so you know what the humidity is in the enclosure? It should be no less then 80% with temps no lower then 80. Put a top on the enclosure to hold in humidity. Have water available 24/7. The heat lamp you are using, is it a UVB light? If it isn't, you need to get one asps unless he gets outside several times a week for a few hours of sunshine. Read Toms threads below in my post for proper housing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It is not the start of pyramiding. It is the continuation of existing pyramiding. He has been pyramiding at the same rate since he started growing. It is, however, pretty mild pyramiding. Even if you do nothing different, he will still look pretty good as an adult.

It is dry under a heat lamp with an open topped enclosure even in a humid climate.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Yes, def. already "started" pyramiding. Like Tom said though it looks more like the continuation of pyramiding. Do not worry though, you can fix the problem now and he will grow to be pretty smooth when you gets very large. Key is to catch early, and fix
Super cute sully even with his slight pyramiding !

koopa82

5 Year Member
Thanks guys, really helpful. Ill look at getting him a UV light and monitor his humidity levels closer. His tank does have a lid...I think he could do with a bit more sunlight tho so will try to bring him outdoors a bit more. Maybe extend his soaking time a little too coz he seems to love the water :)