Is this tortise lamp ok?

Ethan Selby

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Ok, so I have a Russian desert tortoise I've had for almost a year now. I want to check if the light I am using is ok. I got this light because it has both heat and uvb rays in one lamp but I want to check if it's ok. It is called the
Zoo Med PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor Reptile Lamp, 100-Watt. Here is the description.upload_2018-5-16_9-20-33.png

Bee62

Germany
Ok, so I have a Russian desert tortoise I've had for almost a year now. I want to check if the light I am using is ok. I got this light because it has both heat and uvb rays in one lamp but I want to check if it's ok. It is called the
Zoo Med PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor Reptile Lamp, 100-Watt. Here is the description.View attachment 238755
The light is right for your tortoise and a good brand.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In the past I used to recommend these bulbs. They are good for some situations, but in more recent years I've decided I don't care for them for several reasons:
  1. They run too hot. Too hot for use in closed chambers, which is the majority of what I use.
  2. The type of heat and light they generate is extremely desiccating to the carapace, the air, and the environment in general. This greatly contributes to pyramiding in young growing tortoises.
  3. They are very temperamental. Many of them don't work properly right out of the box. Many of them over heat and click on and off. And they are very fragile.
  4. Recent testing has revealed that at least some of these bulbs stop producing UVB after 3 months.
I don't think these are the worst thing ever, but I do think there are better choices that will serve our tortoise's needs better.

Ethan Selby

Maryland
Alright. Thanks everyone. When I replace this light I will probably change to a different bulb but as long as this one is ok, I'm good for now.