Is this tortoise site a scam?

Jsquado

Location (City and/or State)
Ashland Oregon
I was inquiring about purchasing a red foot hatchling at https://tortoiseonlinehome.com/, but they wrote back saying card services are down and they can only receive PayPal. other red flags are that it’s a new site, no shipping, super cheap prices, Absolutely no external info nor reviews, no social media accounts. I don't want to be presumptuous because it’s a new business and wouldn’t have much info on them. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Another red flag to me, if you look at filenames of tortoise pictures - they all named different and seem to be "borrowed" from Instagram, TikTok, WhatsApp, YouTube and other sites (filenames are prefixed with user account names and you can just google them).

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
I was inquiring about purchasing a red foot hatchling at https://tortoiseonlinehome.com/, but they wrote back saying card services are down and they can only receive PayPal. other red flags are that it’s a new site, no shipping, super cheap prices, Absolutely no external info nor reviews, no social media accounts. I don't want to be presumptuous because it’s a new business and wouldn’t have much info on them. Does anyone have any experience with them?
Sounds like a scam I would look for a reputable breeder on MorphMarket.

Jsquado

Ashland Oregon
Thank you all for your help, This site is a great place to check in With! I’m now 90% sure tortoiseonlinehome is a scam site. I took your advice and ordered a red foot from a reputable breeder at MorphMarket. Never hurts to pay a little extra for the quality

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
If in doubt avoid at all costs, we have heard the sad stories reported of money taken and no tortoise received. You want a healthy well bred tortoise. As mentioned, post what your looking for on here and a breader may be able to help. There are also tortoise looking for adoption.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
If in doubt avoid at all costs, we have heard the sad stories reported of money taken and no tortoise received. You want a healthy well bred tortoise. As mentioned, post what your looking for on here and a breader may be able to help. There are also tortoise looking for adoption.
Or the money is taken and you receive a tortoise that needs help anyway.. it's really hard to send them back. I couldn't because I would be sending him back to most likely certain death.. I lucked out and was able to help mine. I decided to just take the loss if I failed.🤗

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Or the money is taken and you receive a tortoise that needs help anyway.. it's really hard to send them back. I couldn't because I would be sending him back to most likely certain death.. I lucked out and was able to help mine. I decided to just take the loss if I failed.🤗
Cathie, the world would be such a much better, kinder place if more of the humans in it were just like you.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Cathie, the world would be such a much better, kinder place if more of the humans in it were just like you.
😘I think a big part of them are. Why else would people keep trying to reach out for help with their little animals and their money, blood, sweat and tears? That's the reason this site (TFO) is so important. lt's a way to share experiences. None of us have seen everything but together we've seen way more.😊