IS THIS WEED OKAY TO FEED TORTOISES

Guts

Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Picture this is giving me the id verbesina encelioides aka golden crownbeard does this look right to you? Unfortunately it doesn’t come up on tortoise table so I don’t know about it’s safety.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Picture this is giving me the id verbesina encelioides aka golden crownbeard does this look right to you? Unfortunately it doesn’t come up on tortoise table so I don’t know about it’s safety.
Forget it. There's so much otherwise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not real sure, but it's probably those wild sunflowers that grow along the freeway, helianthus annus????? The native people here on the west coast eat them, boiling the leaves and flowers, and roasting the seeds.

LJL1982

UK
Where are you located?
The picturethis ap is free and what I use for my ids, it’s not 100% but is usually correct
I pay £19.99 annually for it and it's absolutely invaluable.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you. I have found out that it is indeed verbesina encelioides.
Is it toxic? Can they eat it? I have a friend with a large ranch that as been intentionally propagating it and is offering it to me to feed to my tortoises.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Is it toxic? Can they eat it? I have a friend with a large ranch that as been intentionally propagating it and is offering it to me to feed to my tortoises.

Verbesina encelioides (Cowpen daisy)​

verbesina encelioides from www.wildflower.org
A well-branched grayish-green plant, leaves alternate or opposite, toothed, nearly triangular. Yellow flower heads are up to 2 inches (5 cm) across and have 3- ...

People also ask

Is golden crownbeard poisonous?

The species is toxic and posses a threat to animals that eat the plant. Livestock deaths have been attributed to it.

Attachments

• 1694807550717.png
    1694807550717.png
    320 bytes · Views: 1

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hey Tom,

I an curious why your friend with the ranch is growing this plant. Are there uses for it other than as a feed item?

Did you know the definition of a weed? A weed is simply a plant for which humans have not yet found the use.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey Tom,

I an curious why your friend with the ranch is growing this plant. Are there uses for it other than as a feed item?

Did you know the definition of a weed? A weed is simply a plant for which humans have not yet found the use.
Easy to propagate and she likes the pretty flowers. The bees seem to like the flowers too.