Is time outdoors stressful ....

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
Hello,

I'm thinking ahead to next spring and summer, about building an outside pen for my redfoot, Darwin.

I live in New Hampshire, and we have a nice big lawn that we don't use pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizers.

I'm handy enough to build an enclosure, but have read that tortoises often suffer from the transition from life outside back to indoors.

Given the climate in my locale, Darwin could live outside for a couple of months each year (supported by a basking stone for supplemental warmth).

Will the gain from living outside outweigh the risks or stress to him from shifting from inside to outside, and back again?

Thanks,

Jamie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They get used to the back and forth, Jamie. Once he's been outside for a while he'll be a bit stressed when he has to live inside again, but will soon get used to it.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I put my Redfoot outside during the day and bring him in each night. He's gotten used to it and he's been a much happier Tortoise since I started doing this it seems.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I put my Redfoot outside during the day and bring him in each night. He's gotten used to it and he's been a much happier Tortoise since I started doing this it seems.

Thanks ... what positive changes have you seen with your redfoot?

J

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thanks ... what positive changes have you seen with your redfoot?

J
He underwent HUGE growth since he started going outside. He generally just seems more happy and he knows the routine. Once he eats his breakfast he knows it's time to go out and he's sitting at the front of the enclosure waiting for me to get him