is willow DYING?????

tortoise_luvergirl

5 Year Member
Willow has been having BMs only once a week, eats about the same but spends about 90% of her time sleeping. What seems to have sparked this huge change is the fire that burned the house down and busted one pane of glass in my double paned window november 14th. Even soeaking her daily for 30 minutes will only give me a once a week BM and most of the time Willow Just can't keep her eyes open. I have had to start spraying water on her food even as she seems to not want to drink. Upping the temp seems to have done no good. Mom says she looks stressed.. like maybe all the comotion, excess heat then chill down from the fire over stressed her. her vet is not sure what to make of any of this. I think I am going to loose her and cant stop bawling ; (. her heat lamp ( mercury vapor) and UV lights both are only two months old. it's almost like she is trying to hibernate ( brumination?) but I didn't think Sulcatas did that? hibernated anyhow. her enclosure temp at the basking area is 86, the cool area is 71. the room itself stays anywhere from 60s-70s due to the window ( which will very soon be replaced.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Those temps are too cold for a sulcata. Raise them to no lower than 80 with a bask of 95-100. They need the 95 temp to process food so that's prob why you are seeing no bm.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
In your post you say - the room itself stays anywhere from 60s-70s due to the window ( which will very soon be replaced.

Is there some way you can quickly relocate ur sully's enclosure to another, much warmer room? I'm concerned that it sounds like u still have your sully in the same room with a broken window pane that is creating cold conditions not conducive to good conditions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Was Willow in the house during the fire? She may be suffering from smoke inhalation. Has she been seen by a vet?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
MVB is a UV light. What other UV lights are you using? Are you using a coil type bulb?

What are you using for night heat?

Those temperatures are far too cool for a young sulcata. It should not drop below 80 day or night and your basking spot needs to be 95-100. THis will be very difficult to do in an open topped enclosure, especially in a cold room.

tortoise_luvergirl

5 Year Member
Was Willow in the house during the fire? She may be suffering from smoke inhalation. Has she been seen by a vet?
yes she was in the house.. house next to mine burned down but only busted a few windows in my own home. I actually had to move her to the bathroom for now since thats the hottest room in the house.. she did seem to perk up abit. She and her lights/enclosure will have to stay there untill I can build her a closed chamber.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I remember your last post about the fire. Like said above and in your last post.... That's too cold for your Sulcata. You need to get a timer for your lights and a thermostat for your heater. These basic items ensure that you always have optimal temps for your little one. Sulcatas do not hibernate but mine does slow down in winter. If your guy can't get his core body temp up to 85 degrees or better he cannot digest his food so no BM and no eating. By keeping the temps that low you are also risking a respiratory infection. Turn his heater up while you get your closed chamber built.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I remember your last post about the fire. Like said above and in your last post.... That's too cold for your Sulcata. You need to get a timer for your lights and a thermostat for your heater. These basic items ensure that you always have optimal temps for your little one. Sulcatas do not hibernate but mine does slow down in winter. If your guy can't get his core body temp up to 85 degrees or better he cannot digest his food so no BM and no eating. By keeping the temps that low you are also risking a respiratory infection. Turn his heater up while you get your closed chamber built.

I second this motion...

Add another fixture, increase the wattage, cover the top of the tank with foil, add a space heater to the room... Do whatever you have to do get those temps up NOW, or soon she will be dying.