Willow 6 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've now had Willow for 6 months. She's still only grown 2 grams since I've gotten her, which means she's 24 grams. Her neck still swells up at least once a week, and our vet still has no idea what is wrong with her.(I don't think I've ever mentioned on TFO except to a few of you that her neck swells up)
Willow1.png
Willow2.png
Willow3.png
Willow4.png

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
She Looks Way Small and Young For her Age.

Looks like u can kinna see the Yolk sac On her Shell.

How have u been Keeping Her?
Has she Been eating?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Cute, unsure about that species and what is normal. She has grown some, that seems positive!

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
She's a golden Greek. Eats like a champ: spring mix, weeds, and Mazuri. She lives in a 40 gallon tank on coco coir. Her hot spot is between 90 & 95, the cool side stays between 75 & 80. The humidity is at 60%. she kept basically the same as my other two Greeks, the only difference is a smaller tank because she's kept by herself.

You can't see the yolk sac, she had dirt stuck on her:) lol when I got her, her yolk sac was completely absorbed.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Everything sounds okay normal to me, Maybe She's A Very small grower.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I have no experience with Greeks, but I had a Leopard that was the same way. Literally didn't grow for 5 months, despite being a little pig. Never could figure out why but he got over it and is doing fine (and growing) now. Willow looks like a trooper and she'll get past whatever this 'bump' might be. :):):)

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
Well I'm glad you guys think everything sounds and looks good. If anyone would like to take a guess at why she's swelling I'd be more then happy to post pictures. It's very weird and lasts a day or two then she's back to normal.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Such a beautiful greek! Love the yellow color and that cute face!

I would like to see a pic of the swelling. Did you see a vet about it? I'm surprised it's at least 6 months old! It looks like a little hatchling.

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
I would have thought it was a hatchling! As long as it's eating it will grow eventually, but I've never heard of a neck swelling problem before.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California

Just a little warning, the pictures are pretty sad. The swelling usually only lasts a day, at the most two days.

I've seen Dr.Greek here in SoCal, Willow actually has monthly vet visits. Because the swelling doesn't stay for long periods of time he just wants to watch it right now. Although, she may be going in soon for some tests.

IMG-20120129-00287.jpg

IMG-20120129-00290.jpg

She has had it drained the first time it was swollen. But she's to tiny to get enough out for testing.

Edit: She looks pitiful in these pictures. I'd like to note most of the time she looks like the happy tortoise you see in the pictures i posted before.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh Sarah, she is so beautiful :D I wonder if her swelling has anything to do with thyroid?? Maybe ask your vet if a tortoise this young could have symptoms this early in its life if she was having thyroid issues (maybe goiter or the like...some deficiency happening? Gosh, this is the time in life I wish I knew everything....lol :p

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
She looks s sweet! I hope you find the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.