Issues With Weights and Ratios?

ohio

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NEOhio
Had a nice vet bill today because I had fecal smears done on all my torts. Everyone is parasite and protozoan free but there were elevated levels of bacteria in my Russian and Hermanns. My Marginated were a OK. She put the Russians and Hermanns on SMZ liquid antibiotic for the next ten days. Now the main reason for the post is that I think a few of my Russians are over weight. (I'll get pics later today) I use the The Donoghue Ratio for my Russians, and half are over weight and the other half are right on par. I use the Jackson Ratio on my Hermanns and there always on or slightly under weight no matter how much i soak or feed them. But my big concern is my Marginated torts, no matter what ratio i use they are always under weight. regular soaks and feedings, clean bill of health from vet. Had them for two years, they eat like pigs but always under weight. Is there a different ratio for the Marginated i should be using? Just wondering, one did come out of hibernation and is taking awhile to put his weight back on but is eating and slowly gaining, but my other has always been smaller so i didn't hibernate to try and fatten up over winter but he only ever nibbles a little here and there. Has gained weight just a lot slower then my other. If anyone has advice would appreciate it. Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never paid any attention to those formulas.

Do your tortoises look and behave normally? Do they feel dense and heavy when you pick them up? Good appetite? If yes, then I wouldn't worry about either of those ratios.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Those ratios can tell you if your tortoises weigh more or less than some kind of average, but NOT if their weight is healthy.
Just like a petite woman and a strongly-built man of the same size don't have to be under/over weight just because their weights are different. ;)

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Here is my Russian female who is considered obese and I took her vet and she didn't seem concerned. Eats too good very active and likes to just chill in food plate after everyone else has left. I took her in because I thought she had gout or some sort of water retention. She did have excessive bacteria in her fecal smear but no protozoa or parasites. Vet put her on SMZ and I'm supposed to observe for any changes.
IMG_20180226_164151.jpg
IMG_20180226_164133.jpg
Should I be concerned or is she just fat?
I have two more who's hind side has some of the puffiness. Not considered crazy obese but overweight. Again no protozoa or parasites and eating. They pee the white stuff runny not grainy. Poops mostly stiff. The fat ones was a little soft that's why I took her to the vet. But has fermmd up in the week she's been on SMZ. Everyone gets weekly soaks.
Here's a pic of the less puffy one.
IMG_20180226_164204.jpg
Again just wondering fat or an underlying issue?

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
My marginated, the one I hibernate always felt heavy and the one I didn't, always felt light. Even when the light one was awake all winter he only ever nibbles a little here and there, vet said over winter he looked fine. My bigger one always eat a lot but is underweight by ratios and my small one is considered grossly underweight. Both protozoa and parasite free, and no bacteria in poo. Both alert and active.

Last edited:

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
SMZ
Sulfamethoxazole Trimethoprim is a combination of antibiotics that work in conjunction with each other. Sulfamethoxazole Trimethoprim is often used to treat urinary tract, skin, respiratory, or digestive tract infections. It may be used for ear infections, protozoa, coccidiosis and pneumonia.

A multi use antibiotic, again most of my fecal results had a high amount of bacteria no protozoa or parasites. But everyone acts healthy and active. Good eaters and regular bowl movements.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
So any thoughts Tom? The swelling looks like it's going down a little, have her separated and not giving her as much food still getting soaks. Since she's been on the antibiotics her poop has fermmd up and she is becoming more difficult to get the meds in her. I have to be more tricky about it. She's still a little pig when it comes to food. I know you keep Russian torts have any of yours ever looked fat or bloated? The vet I see is 45 minutes to an hour away and is only at this office on Mondays because she travels to other offices. She's the only exotic vet close to me everyone else is over an hour away. Most vets in my area only deal with dogs, cats, and livestock. Thanks for all the input.