It has been long since my tortoise eat anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

ztype2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alexandria, Egypt
My tortoise haven't eat anything for one and half week and he is always hiding but not sleeping.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We never did establish what type of tortoise you have. I THINK egyptian, but I'm not good at I.D.ing the mediterranean species.

Do you ever soak your tortoise?

Do you have an outdoor habitat or is the tortoise kept indoors?

Is there a light to heat up the tortoise to above 85F degrees? (sorry, I don't do metric)

ztype2

5 Year Member
Alexandria, Egypt
yea i did soak him twice per week
and he used to walk all around the house including a small garden outside the house
temp here is above 85F without any heaters i think its 90F during the day and 84F during then night
i put various kinds of foods infront of him but he did not eat.

yea i soak him twice per week and he walks around all the house here including a small garden outside the house
the temp. here is 90F during day and 83F during night without using any heaters
i put various kinds of foods in front of him but he did not eat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are there any other signs. Runny nose, eyes, noise. Anything you have changed recently? Possibly ate something off the floor, while walking around tbs house? Maybe you need to start the baby food soaks before it goes on too long, if it hasn't already. Giving a bump so maybe some more help wil come along.
Good luck

ztype2

5 Year Member
Alexandria, Egypt
a couple of weeks ago there was some noise while breathing and he wasnt able to walk well i took him to the vet and they said he has an inflammation in his frontal left leg they gave him two injections and they said his leg is okay now and told me that he will eat later but he still havent taste anything
im really so worried

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Do you happen to know what the injections were? Sometimes those will cause the tortoise to loose his appetite.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Offer him a piece of red food...bell pepper, red lettuce, shredded carrot, whatever you can find. The color red seems to mean "food" to most tortoises. If you have access to Mazuri Tortoise chow, soak some in water that has been tinted a strong red w/ food coloring.

Once you find something that get's your tortoise interested, mix it in with his/her regular food.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Terry Allan Hall said:
Offer him a piece of red food...bell pepper, red lettuce, shredded carrot, whatever you can find. The color red seems to mean "food" to most tortoises. If you have access to Mazuri Tortoise chow, soak some in water that has been tinted a strong red w/ food coloring.

Once you find something that get's your tortoise interested, mix it in with his/her regular food.

Strawberries, cantaloupe any fruit ... Keep offering, and I would say start the baby food soaks ASAP

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Once they start eating, then it's normally easier to keep them eating. Fingers crossed!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Yes, we do need to positively identify your tortoise, and determine whether it's a Greek or Egyptian tortoise.

I don't think the temperatures are quite right. The warm end is not warm enough, and the cool end is not cool enough. The basking spot should be about 95*F. I don't think 90*F is quite hot enough to allow him to digest his food or keep his immune system running. As for the ambient temperatures, they should be in the 70s, especially at night. 83*F is too warm.

Bathing a tortoise is good, but I wouldn't do it too often, because this can stress them out. In my opinion, twice a week is too often. I would cut back to only once per week.

As for diet, offering red foods is a good idea, as mentioned above. I would also keep the diet varied. Sometimes tortoises refuse to eat if all they get is only one or two types of plants. Offer your tortoise many different kinds of plants from one day to the next - at least 5 or 6 different kinds, preferably more. That should help stimulate his appetite.

Another thing that stimulates appetite is UVA radiation. UVB is needed to metabolize calcium, but UVA appears to be needed for normal feeding behavior. Make sure your little guy has a good fluorescent lamp on his indoor enclosure, or better still plenty of time outside.

If your tortoise is very young, he is going to be very shy. In the wild, hiding a lot helps baby tortoises avoid predators. In addition to plenty of space, make sure your tortoise has a good substrate he can dig into, as well as structure he can hide behind. For many animals, the more shelter you provide, the more they come out and behave normally. :)

Perhaps if you change these variables, your tortoise will start eating again.

Status
Not open for further replies.