Its raining today (:

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiikaNiggs11

5 Year Member
Can I take my red footed out in the rain?
I heard they're from tropical forests?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Where are you? If its warm then yes. If its cold, then no I wouldn't.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
NO! its to cold for them to be out, in the sumer the rain will be great for them but for now they should be in all the time.
(IMO)

ChiikaNiggs11

5 Year Member
Irwin4530 said:
NO! its to cold for them to be out, in the sumer the rain will be great for them but for now they should be in all the time.
(IMO)

Okay thanks c:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A redfoot should not see 52 degrees whether it's raining or not...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ChiikaNiggs11 said:
Tom said:
A redfoot should not see 52 degrees whether it's raining or not...

How many degrees has to be so they be able to go out?

There are many factors to consider in this. Wind, clouds, sun, how wet the ground is, the color of the ground, the temperature of the ground, etc... Generally I would say around 70 as a minimum. Use a temp gun early and often to check all your temps and watch your tortoises behavior for clues too. If he moves to a cold shady corner and hunkers down, it's probably too cold. If he did this in the summer it might indicate it was too hot. If the tortoises browses around, eats a little something or basks, then it is probably fine. Also be aware that redfoots typically don't like to be out in the wide open and prefer some dappled sun and cover.

ChiikaNiggs11

5 Year Member
Tom said:
There are many factors to consider in this. Wind, clouds, sun, how wet the ground is, the color of the ground, the temperature of the ground, etc... Generally I would say around 70 as a minimum. Use a temp gun early and often to check all your temps and watch your tortoises behavior for clues too. If he moves to a cold shady corner and hunkers down, it's probably too cold. If he did this in the summer it might indicate it was too hot. If the tortoises browses around, eats a little something or basks, then it is probably fine. Also be aware that redfoots typically don't like to be out in the wide open and prefer some dappled sun and cover.

Thank you very much :)
It helped a lot !

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Rain in the summer in Southern California? My daily chuckle. Thank you very much!!!

Cowboy_Ken said:
Rain in the summer in Southern California? My daily chuckle. Thank you very much!!!

@irwin

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
The temperature for red foots depends completely on the size...Hatchlings to 5-6", I never let out under 70....6-8" torts are brought in around 60-65...In the winter, all torts bigger then that come out of their hide (where those nice toasty heat lamps are) in the morning when I open the door, at 50-55 degree temperatures, and go find a nice sliver of sunlight :). But rain + cold should be avoided, unless he is sheltered from the rain. You never want a tortoise to be cold and wet....Ever.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Ca never has warm showers anyways so. Cali never does. Always cold fronts bringing cold rain. Never cold and wet rule of thumb. My box turtles and mt toetoises I kept out all year around rain or shine, they always had dry areas and a little heated area but it's usually to cold of rain for most species

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Millerlite said:
Ca never has warm showers anyways so. Cali never does. Always cold fronts bringing cold rain. Never cold and wet rule of thumb. My box turtles and mt toetoises I kept out all year around rain or shine, they always had dry areas and a little heated area but it's usually to cold of rain for most species

Come out to the Southern CA desert in August when those monsoons work their way West over from AZ/NV. Doesn't happen often, but it happens. We got a little in July and a good one in August this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.