Jerusalem Artichokes

SteveW

I have no idea where the common name came from as neither descriptor is accurate. Instead, Helianthus tuberosus is a perennial sunflower that propagates via tuber (actually a corm, I think).
I always plant sunflowers in the tortoise yards for shading and flower petals. The idea of a perennial stand is very exciting. Further, check out the specs on the aerial parts as fodder:

IMG_1237.jpg

This time of year, I am seeing the tubers available in grocery stores. They look like this

IMG_1239.jpg

As caveats, I have no idea the palatability and have read they can take over. I’ll be planting some and report back.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
I have some of these. I call them sunchokes, they were already established when I bought the property almost 4 years ago. Each year the "root ball" is a little bigger but I would not consider them invasive. My tort got to try some of the leaves for the first time last week. He loves them. So they might need a little protection from your tort.

As for care of the plant, I trim off the flowers as the start to fade. I think I put some organic fertilizer on it last year... Other than that, I cut them down to the ground once the plant starts to die back for winter. Very easy plant.

SteveW

I have some of these. I call them sunchokes, they were already established when I bought the property almost 4 years ago. Each year the "root ball" is a little bigger but I would not consider them invasive. My tort got to try some of the leaves for the first time last week. He loves them. So they might need a little protection from your tort.

As for care of the plant, I trim off the flowers as the start to fade. I think I put some organic fertilizer on it last year... Other than that, I cut them down to the ground once the plant starts to die back for winter. Very easy plant.

I forgot to ask what species you’re feeding.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I think the Jerusalem comes from the French girasole.
The raw or cooked tubers are very high in inulin, a prebiotic that makes me fart bad, so i haven't eaten them in decades.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Wait wait we can feed this to sulcatas? How Much and how often?
I've grown these and let me tell you. If you put them in the ground at least mine spread and now a whole garden bed is full of tubers. Every year I dig them out and they just keep coming back.. I have also planted them in pots (how i prefer) or a small raised bed that you can excavate all the soil from and Harvest the tubers. When i was in tucson i didnt harvent the tubers out of the pot after the first year and the second year the tubers broke the pot. But an extremely easy plant to care for.

I think if you plant them like a tree and not in a garden bed they won't spread like mine did.

I had no idea Hugo could eat the leaves! What about the tubers!?

Bambam1989

East Texas
I wouldn't feed the tubers to a tort but the leaves and flowers can be added to a meal as easily as 3 times a week.