Jobs with animals

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
So as some of you may know, I am still in school and need to start thinking of future career choices. I don't know what I want to do but I what I do know is that I want to work with animals.

I was wondering if you cold list any jobs that you know of that I could read into, also if you have any experiences, please share them :D

Oh and one thing... I'm not too good with blood so I don't think a vet is a good idea for me. o_O

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I was thinking animal control officers but i do remember watching a show when i was younger about some in texas & they would rescue dogs that are being neglected and abused, theres usually bad open wounds or dried blood. Im not sure how much you can tolerate & i think there was a different name for the officers.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I was thinking animal control officers but i do remember watching a show when i was younger about some in texas & they would rescue dogs that are being neglected and abused, theres usually bad open wounds or dried blood. Im not sure how much you can tolerate & i think there was a different name for the officers.
I thought of that. I was watching animal cops Huston today actually. A lot of the time they have to be put down though so that's the only down side :(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It depends on how you want to work with animals.

My daughter is currently working as a field assistant in a national park in Canada researching Prairie Dogs. She graduated in Biology & Geography last summer from university.

She is handling animals from the youngest pups upwards. She has also been out with the rangers helping them with Burrowing Owl and Sage Grouse.

There is a huge range of careers open to you, many of which you may struggle to imagine. Everything from dog/horse grooming, kennel maid and veterinary nurse to blacksmith and conservation officer via animal trainer and pest control officer.

Working hard at your science in school helps though. Biology is obvious, but also Maths and Chemistry.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

spud's_mum

United Kingdom

My daughter is currently working as a field assistant in a national park in Canada researching Prairie Dogs. She graduated in Biology & Geography last summer from university.

She is handling animals from the youngest pups upwards. She has also been out with the rangers helping them with Burrowing Owl and Sage Grouse.

There is a huge range of careers open to you, many of which you may struggle to imagine. Everything from dog/horse grooming, kennel maid and veterinary nurse to blacksmith and conservation officer via animal trainer and pest control officer.

Working hard at your science in school helps though. Biology is obvious, but also Maths and Chemistry.
That sounds amazing!

I am pretty good at science but will have to work on maths.

As for the animals, I would prefer to work with a range of them, not just one type.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My daughter is only in Canada for the summer. While she was at university, she spent a summer out in South Africa doing research on Cheetah, but ended up getting involved in Rhino project as well.

When she gets a proper job, she's looking for something conservation related. It's unlikely to just be simply one species as they're all inter-reliant.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I thought of that. I was watching animal cops Huston today actually. A lot of the time they have to be put down though so that's the only down side :(
Unfortunately dealing with deaths is a side effect. My daughter has found this tough too, but you have to learn to file it and move on.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Unfortunately dealing with deaths is a side effect. My daughter has found this tough too, but you have to learn to file it and move on.
I know that it will happen in almost every job but with the animal cops, the animals are so badly neglected that they just seem to have so many being put down. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Rue

Canada

My daughter is currently working as a field assistant in a national park in Canada researching Prairie Dogs. She graduated in Biology & Geography last summer from university. ...

Grasslands?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Piggy backing off of what JoesMum said, volunteering is a great way to find out what really speaks to you.
Im studying to be a kindergarten teacher. I took child development 3 years with a half day internship when i was in high school. I LOVE it, the kids, the lesson plans; it can be tiring though, but I know i want to do it for the rest of my life. I know people that have taken child development and realized teaching kids is not their thing, and teachers have told me some go through school, get their degree and once they start teaching, they hate it and go back to school for something else. Volunteering and internships can really help you decide.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Piggy backing off of what JoesMum said, volunteering is a great way to find out what really speaks to you.
Im studying to be a kindergarten teacher. I took child development 3 years with a half day internship when i was in high school. I LOVE it, the kids, the lesson plans; it can be tiring though, but I know i want to do it for the rest of my life. I know people that have taken child development and realized teaching kids is not their thing, and teachers have told me some go through school, get their degree and once they start teaching, they hate it and go back to school for something else. Volunteering and internships can really help you decide.
Also a teacher here!