Just got my new Indian Star baby

tempest979

Location (City and/or State)
NY
So cute. Be sure to raise her in an enclosure that is a closed chamber with high humidity and no mercury or halogen bulbs.
@Tom can give you more details.
Yep. I got a large plastic translucent bin 29X20 I converted and cut holes in to hang lights. I'll keep her here until she gets a little older. Current temp is 83 on cool side 87 on warmer side and humidity is at 85%. She walked around for a bit and decided to hide under a plastic plant in the corner. Poor thing must be overwhelmed a little.

tempest979

NY
Basking needs to be 95-100 for most species and I believe yours.
It's about 97 or so on the spot. I put the basking lamp closer to one side so that it heats up that one side more too, so I could have a cooler side and warmer side. Basking on the spot is about 97F, on that side ambient is 87-88, cooler side is 83. The ceramic heat emitter will kick on if it drops under 82F. She hid under the plastic plant looking around for a bit, but I think she finally feels secure and that no predators are around to eat her and is moving around again.
Never had one this young and small, feel a bit intimidated. I've been watching her from the overhead baby cam this entire time. I left her some Bokchoy and Watercress on the slate, hopefully she feels secure enough to go eat it.

Last edited:

tempest979

NY
So cute. Be sure to raise her in an enclosure that is a closed chamber with high humidity and no mercury or halogen bulbs.
@Tom can give you more details.
Is there a way to tell if a hatchling this young is an Indian or Sri Lankan? I've seen some pics of Sri Lankans and she's looking kinda like one more than an Indian.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is there a way to tell if a hatchling this young is an Indian or Sri Lankan? I've seen some pics of Sri Lankans and she's looking kinda like one more than an Indian.
It sounds like you understand what needs to be done and have a good set up. Do your best to keep it hot and humid. Daytime ambient climbing into the low 90s is good for this species.

Sri Lankans cost more, so if you had bought one of those, you would know it.

This species tends to remain shy its whole life. There are occasional exceptions, but don't be disappointed if the tortoise never really "warms up " to you and wants to interact.

tempest979

NY
It sounds like you understand what needs to be done and have a good set up. Do your best to keep it hot and humid. Daytime ambient climbing into the low 90s is good for this species.

Sri Lankans cost more, so if you had bought one of those, you would know it.

This species tends to remain shy its whole life. There are occasional exceptions, but don't be disappointed if the tortoise never really "warms up " to you and wants to interact.
Oh hey Tom thanks for replying. Sri Lankans currently are selling for about the same price on morphmarket. A lot of high yellows too.

Had a question, ummm I just noticed her pass something. I know part of it is a urate, the tiny white piece, but I'm not sure what that yellowish-brown goo is next to it. I've never seen something like that passed before. Should I be concerned? I just got her this morning and she hasn't eaten anything. I just put her in her second soak for today.

20240827_132312.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That looks like a piece of bark. Don't know what the other stuff is, but I would not worry about it.

One soak a day is enough. Normally I would say that two or more soaks does no harm, but this species can be so sensitive and easily stressed, so in this case I think it could. With such a little one, I'd tried to keep stressors to a minimum until he/she gains some size.

tempest979

NY
That looks like a piece of bark. Don't know what the other stuff is, but I would not worry about it.

One soak a day is enough. Normally I would say that two or more soaks does no harm, but this species can be so sensitive and easily stressed, so in this case I think it could. With such a little one, I'd tried to keep stressors to a minimum until he/she gains some size.
I meant this right here on top of the bark substrate. Circled in red next to the little tiny piece of white urate.

20240827_132312.jpg

tempest979

NY
I see it. Don't know what it is, but I would not worry about it.
Ok, thanks. I will crank up the heat a little, I was afraid it might be too hot for her so I turned it down a little and reduce 1 soak a day for 30 mins.