Just How Long Can Summer Estivation Last for Outdoor Russians?

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
I'm glad he is back to you :) In some regions of their native range they are active only 3-4 months a year. You are right - they are incredible survivors.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Location (City and/or State)
Finland
Ok huge update guys!!!… Guess who finally woke up out of summer estivation! 🙌
View attachment 380385
I had not seen my boy since June when he buried himself when it got to the 100s in my region. Now it is October and in the 80s. I cannot believe he really napped all summer for 4 whole months!!! 😲 I checked his enclosure daily for him and never saw him. I even dug for him but I guess I wasn’t looking in the right places!
This is where the fresh very shallow hole is that I see today but I think he picks different places to hide which is why I haven’t been able to find him previously.
View attachment 380386
The only clue that gave it away he is coming out to eat was yesterday when I found this bitten into melon.
View attachment 380387
He looks perfectly fine and weighs exactly the same as before he went underground. What incredible creatures! 😮

Thank you all who replied and I hope this post helps others as I’ve learned that apparently Russian Tortoises really can estivate and “go missing” for 4 months in the summer if you live somewhere hot like me! ☀️🐢
Remeber to give him lots of soaking now, I bet he must be a little dehydrated after using metabolic water for so long!