Just saying Hey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorCalAl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paradise
I'm a new member and just saying hi. My girlfriend and I have dogs, cats, bird, fish, ferret, a chuckwalla lizard and a desert tortoise. Cartman, as he's called (but I suspect he's a she and will end up being Cartwoman) adopted us five years ago when he made friends with our cat. We checked around, but no one near us knew anything about him. We live in a rural area and most of the plots are over an acre and almost all the neighbors are in their 80's. We're the youngun's at 50.
We've had him on our back deck till now, living in a 20x25 foot space with a dogloo as his homebase. We did research early on and he's been fed fresh veggies we get at the local farmer's market, so they are certified organic.
Recently, cause his deck was demolished by a tree - fortunately he was hibernating - we moved him to our side yard. He nows has about a 30x20 foot enclosure. I moved his dogloo down there and he's just been lovin' it. He's cleaned out all the weeds and has a nice track around the outside with every weed gone within neck reach.
We added a couple pieces of sod (about 2x6') that he likes to lounge on in the shade (after or during a day of basking) and I've been growing weeds and plants (from turtlestuff.com) that I'll be planting down there for him this week.
The big change will be that he'll spend his winters in the garage. It gets quite cold (30's lots of days, colder at night with infrequent snow) and while he's been doing fine out on the deck, I don't think we want him out in the yard during the winter.
He's really taken to us now that he's so much closer and gets so much more attention. He follows me around anytime I'm down there and will make me pet him before he'll take off to get the food I've brought him. Crazy little guy.
So that's us. Any suggestions, friendly please, as to improvements we could make are most welcome.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the forum :D Have to say love the CDT's :p

I bet he was glad to have new stuff to chow down on in the new space ....I bet he will be relieved to snooze in the garage this year....they are very fun and each have their own huge fun ways about them that is for sure :p

I love ChuckWallas!!!!! They have the best skin ...so rough you would think they are covered in sand paper....I was out going towards Joshua on a day outing with a friend and we were ChuckWalla and Desert Iquana spotting...we pulled around this one part of the path and no kidding, like 10 scattered into the rocks, suspect we stumbled on a popular sunning spot, well, we wanted to see one up close so we stalked this one and after 20 minutes of moving rocks to get to him we held him a minute, took a photo, put him back then put the rocks back exactly as we pulled them away...way fun! :)

oh yeah....in the event you are not aware....WE LOVE PICS , may we see pics of your CDT and ChuckWalla ?:p:p:p:p:p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Al:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Where abouts in NorCal are you?

NorCalAl

5 Year Member
Paradise
I'll get some pics up in the next couple days! And I sit up in Paradise, above Chico. We're at about 1850', so a mile up the road is the winter 'snowline'. We get some snow, but in the past six years, it's averaged around 10 snowfalls a year, with half sticking more than one day.
My girlfriend has raised lots of beardies, chameleons and pond turtles. The CDT is my first herp and my chuck is my second. Had the chuck about a month now and he's just toooo cool. He's in a 40g breeder right now, but moving him up to a 120g at some point. Can't believe I sold my 180g just a couple months ago!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
NorCalAl said:
Can't believe I sold my 180g just a couple months ago!!!!

That's always the way it goes! Just as soon as I gave away all my 20 year-old shoes with the thick soles and clunky heels, they came back into fashion! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.