Just the facts...

M

Maggie Cummings

I wasn't sure how to write this story. It's not a funny one. In fact, it's kind of embarrassing and concerning. So I have decided to be like Jack Webb and give, "just the facts, ma'am". Most of you probably never heard of him...
Oh well....here goes...
2013 Christmas season my adult son and I took Bob to the Vets to be weighed on her scale. It read 149 pounds. So when someone asks me what he weighs I say "he was 150 last Christmas". So a couple of threads ago, my revered sister says, "I think you're off some, I'll bet he's more like 110".!!! OMG! Where did this come from? Kinda drawing a line in the sand, an aggressive move for her...so I texted my adult son to ask what he remembered..."He was 149".
The guy who's been helping take Bob places, Ron, drives a 10 wheeler all week, so on Saturday we drove 40 miles to Sweet Home to an old fashioned Feed Store and Garden Shop...
He had a big old wooden scale on the floor. Here's the pictures...(I hope)
walking into the feed store...

Attachments

• IMG_3739.JPG
    IMG_3739.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 89

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
So where did Bob go?

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
118??

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oops, either Bob lost weight, or one of the scales is way off.
That pic of Bob being carried is priceless. The look on his face is fantastic.

M

Maggie Cummings

So I obsessed all weekend, and Sunday found out that Ron had no work Monday, so off to the Vet we go....first thing Monday morning...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
From what I have seen I would have guessed him around 100-125. I think the scale that said 149 was not set properly. Most of those vet scales ave to be zeroed when you turn them on, and they are made for smaller animals too. My guess is that the scale was off on the day you got 149. He's a big boy, but I would never have guessed him at 150 from the pics you've shown.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL!!! Ha ha, I told you so (Yvonne sticks out her tongue and blows a big raspberry!!) I'll bet that 149lb weigh someone had their foot on the scale.

Yes, you feed Bob better than I feed Dudley, but in my eyes, even though I've only seen pictures, Bob and Dudley are almost the same size.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
You said Bob is also 17, right? Do they continue gaining weight all their lives?

M

Maggie Cummings

Thank you Stephanie....He has a big wonderful personality. I have loved this tortoise since he was 5 pounds, less weight now doesn't make a difference to me. I just need to find out if it was scales screwing up, or is something wrong with him.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thank you Stephanie....He has a big wonderful personality. I have loved this tortoise since he was 5 pounds, less weight now doesn't make a difference to me. I just need to find out if it was scales screwing up, or is something wrong with him.

The only way I believe you will be able to ease your mind, start the weight now (and use the exact same scale next time--kinda like we women folk do--you know, no shoes, no jewelry, same time of day, full moon, holding out breath--all factors must be exact or it is a bust....:rolleyes:) and in 3 months go for another weight in...but be careful to not change up what you are doing now as far as food and access to water (but wait, winter is coming on so consumption will likely fall some) then wait another 3 months and get another weight....Maggie, the other scale may have had a different setting and there is no way to know if it is right, or near right....well, unless you know what you weight...then go there and make everyone turn around...and jump on their scale to see if there is a match...then you will have an idea of accuracy....then start at point A...go from there....just what I would do is all...

M

Maggie Cummings

The only way I believe you will be able to ease your mind, start the weight now (and use the exact same scale next time--kinda like we women folk do--you know, no shoes, no jewelry, same time of day, full moon, holding out breath--all factors must be exact or it is a bust....:rolleyes:) and in 3 months go for another weight in...but be careful to not change up what you are doing now as far as food and access to water (but wait, winter is coming on so consumption will likely fall some) then wait another 3 months and get another weight....Maggie, the other scale may have had a different setting and there is no way to know if it is right, or near right....well, unless you know what you weight...then go there and make everyone turn around...and jump on their scale to see if there is a match...then you will have an idea of accuracy....then start at point A...go from there....just what I would do is all...

Thanks. I know my weight, but being as it's a feed store I thought I'd grab a bag of dog food off the shelf. A 40 pound bag should weigh 40 pounds...then I will do the same at the Vets. I will use the Vet's as it's 35 miles closer..I.'m going to get to the bottom of this, and no, Bob's food consumption does not fall off in the winter. He is still catered to, it's just the food is a little different.
I keep my front lawn longer,then I cut it with scissors, that's the basis of his breakfast...and I go from there. No blooms anymore, some leaves, but he'll eat the fallen leaves so that's a part too. He's fed good darn it.