K. b.b

juli11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Europe
ATTACH=full]122918[/ATTACH]
Small update feeding well one is a bit smaller and shyer..

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427026615.851412.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427026615.851412.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 22

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanks. Yes doing well but really shy maybe like baby's of kinixys homeana. I'll put them outside in the middle of May..
I'm hoping to find out how shy baby homeana are one day.;)

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
I'm hoping to find out how shy baby homeana are one day.;)

They're to shy! My animals were so shy in the first year but know you can work really good with them!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Where are they often?
Well most Belliana here is westerns. Easterns haven't come in for many many years. Every so often some will get mixed in from the most southern range with some spekii but that's few and far between. Most spekkii now come in here from Mozambique which does not encompass belliana range. Tanzania use to be main belliana export county and Sudan but no more Sulcata or belliana can come in so that stopped late 90s.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Well most Belliana here is westerns. Easterns haven't come in for many many years. Every so often some will get mixed in from the most southern range with some spekii but that's few and far between. Most spekkii now come in here from Mozambique which does not encompass belliana range. Tanzania use to be main belliana export county and Sudan but no more Sulcata or belliana can come in so that stopped late 90s.

Yes western are everywhere the most common belliana kind. Ok I don't know normally we don't have problem with animals which get imported under wrong names..

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430654286.900016.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430654299.414768.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430654310.494959.jpg

I have the now ca. 2 months. Now they feed by themselves. Also the smaller one isn't so shy anymore. But they still eat only in cover behind the rocks..

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Maybe you could add some dead leaves and more stick/twigs or some plant foliage,I also have some large pieces of bark that they climb on and under.
Also My substrate is 6" deep coco and its not level. As they walk about they have to climb over or in divets. All these things make them feel more secure I think. Also the plants stop the substrate from getting to boggy and soaking wet. Yours look great.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm not very good at growing plants, but this seems to grow anywhere.

IMG_20150503_131655.jpg

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Maybe you could add some dead leaves and more stick/twigs or some plant foliage,I also have some large pieces of bark that they climb on and under.
Also My substrate is 6" deep coco and its not level. As they walk about they have to climb over or in divets. All these things make them feel more secure I think. Also the plants stop the substrate from getting to boggy and soaking wet. Yours look great.

Yes I could but why? At the moment they only sit under the rocks and only come out to eat. That's normal for small kinixys. Also you have to notice that this is a kinixys species which don't live really wet. Because of that I use a substrate which is dry on the top and wet under the top - hope you understand don't know how to explain this substrate..

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yes I could but why? At the moment they only sit under the rocks and only come out to eat. That's normal for small kinixys. Also you have to notice that this is a kinixys species which don't live really wet. Because of that I use a substrate which is dry on the top and wet under the top - hope you understand don't know how to explain this substrate..
Very interesting. So don't the K.b.b live in forest areas in the wild?

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Very interesting. So don't the K.b.b live in forest areas in the wild?

No. There are three types of hingebacks which live in the forest K. nougeiy, homeana and Erosa. K. belliana belliana live in the east of Africa for example in Tanzania. So they live in savanna where it is normally dryer.