Keeping a Hermanns in a colder climate

HoosierTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indianapolis
Hello all, my names Cody and I also have an Eastern named Hershel. We live in Delaware OH, and he has been in an outdoor pin since I got him in June. He does well , and Iv done so much research it’s overwhelming but I’m still questionable about the hibernation months. Chris was a big influence for me and I learned a lot from his videos. According to him , the easterns are hardy little guys and can deal with the winter climate… I was just curious to hear your guys updates since 2019 and your journey with owning a Hermann’s in a colder climate such as mine? Id appreciate the feedback and knowledge because this is my first year owning him . Thank you
Hey Cody!
I’m just across from you over in Indiana. Herman’s are fantastic and I never worry about mine being outside year round here in Indy. That said, I do set them up to make sure they’re good to go.
Buy how things change in 5 years. I now keep 68 species and run a sanctuary. 🤣 went from Russians and box turtles for decades to that many quick, but retirement will do that to you. 🤷‍♂️ it’s very addictive. So much so you have to go back to work to pay for a Chelonian Center you’re building on land we bought earlier this year. Lol

Anyways, I keep them isolated to their cold frames in the winter and will fill it with chopped straw, dried grass clippings, and then just a little green grass clippings here and there as they do better with a little humidity. Then I surround the cold frame with straw bales and cover the whole thing with a heavy duty tarp. I don’t generally put the tarps on immediately and I do take them off nice it begins to warm up, but in the hardest part of winter, I want them covered.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Anyways, I keep them isolated to their cold frames in the winter and will fill it with chopped straw, dried grass clippings, and then just a little green grass clippings here and there as they do better with a little humidity. Then I surround the cold frame with straw bales and cover the whole thing with a heavy duty tarp. I don’t generally put the tarps on immediately and I do take them off nice it begins to warm up, but in the hardest part of winter, I want them covered.
Just curious, do you monitor the temp in the cold frame? Do you check on them during hibernation?

CJNoble

OHIO
Hey Cody!
I’m just across from you over in Indiana. Herman’s are fantastic and I never worry about mine being outside year round here in Indy. That said, I do set them up to make sure they’re good to go.
Buy how things change in 5 years. I now keep 68 species and run a sanctuary. 🤣 went from Russians and box turtles for decades to that many quick, but retirement will do that to you. 🤷‍♂️ it’s very addictive. So much so you have to go back to work to pay for a Chelonian Center you’re building on land we bought earlier this year. Lol

Wow thank you for the information and quick response . I built Hershel a nice home out in the yard and plan on getting him some friends and family as the years go on but again I’m nervous since it’s getting closer to winter. Iv read that you should take them too the vet before hibernation to make sure that your animal is healthy for it but too me, I treat him like he’s wild, and give him a variety of different plants and weeds too eat. Now I know it’s not going to be exact of course but it’s still a better life than being inside which isn’t a realistic environment for them. I love learning the different plants and weeds they like , and learning what mine chooses so I’d imagine he’s been eating well enough to prepare for winter. I also give him a big variety of store bought leafy greens.
If you’re able to see the photos I posted, you can see I have a cold frame and a bigger frame I could wrap in plastic if you think that would help. Do you use any small heaters or have you had any problems loosing any when the temperature get way below average? Ohio has been very bipolar the past couple years so I really don’t know what to expect, and I’d be worried to death if it gets below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Again thank you so much for talking to me about my situation, it really helps.

Attachments

• IMG_5255.jpeg
    IMG_5255.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5258.jpeg
    IMG_5258.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland

CJNoble