sulcata in basment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

argus333

5 Year Member
hello im going to build a reptile room in my basement. i have a 10 inch sulcata and thinking ahead about a huge pen in basement for winter. anyone keep big sulcata in there basement? im in nj so i really dont want to do a heated shed plus i feel i can give him way more room in basement and heating is not as much a issue. basement is steady 60 degrees has some heat but mostly will be insulted room with heat lights and pig blankets. my other reptiles will be in room as well in separate cages. any ideas?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Argus333!

There are many people who keep their sulcatas in the basement during the winter, mostly on the east coast. The only problem with it, in my opinion, is carrying him up and down the stairs. It sounds like a pretty good way to keep him warm and happy during the winter.

argus333

5 Year Member
thanks,,, i had a 120 lb sulcata about 15 yrs ago. had to sell him when i moved but now i own house and giving it another go. he went to a breeder in atlanta and the guy i have now is one of his babies from 2 yrs ago. so its like he lives on.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome..what happens when he becomes to large to get down to the basement ?

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I kept my large sulcatas in my basement... I built a lg room the room contained 3 pens 10x20 each i could have made it smaller since I noticed none of the big guys ever went to the far side of the pen ...It [/u]was heated by two oil filled heaters.. And 6 275 watt megaray zoological bulbs.. I even put in a rain system.

Since carrying a 100l+lbs sulcata up stairs for a soak got old quick..So for soaks I used a kitty pool and hooked up a hot water hose to the laundry room and to drain it I used a sump pump..( I soaked the big guys once a month in he winter...) also helps if you build there pen were they can walk in and out of the basement on there own power..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I don't have any advice for you, just want to wish you good luck.

argus333

5 Year Member
ya i hav walk out so bringing him in an out is no problem. im gonna build insulated floor, then insulate all walls and celing i hope with all the lights and heat pads it will hold the heat well. without to much added heat but i guess oil filled heater seems to be way to go?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I wonder how hard it would be to make something along the lines of a dumbwaiter?

argus333

5 Year Member
hey anyone have any pics of big guy pens inside need some ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.