keeping a tortoise outside

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
my Russian Tiny is an indoor tort so he is not exposed really. I do take him out in my yard often to get natural sun light and munch on whatever he likes in the yard but they are fast so I literally have to stand there and walk with him to make sure he doesn't take off!
Yes, unenclosed back yards have been the start of many heartbreaking stories. Is there any way you could build some sort of enclosure? You know, for that "one time" your attention was drawn away from Tiny?

StephandTay

Lodi, WI
Yes, unenclosed back yards have been the start of many heartbreaking stories. Is there any way you could build some sort of enclosure? You know, for that "one time" your attention was drawn away from Tiny?
It's hard because I rent unfortunately and my landlord is picky about putting anything in the grass. I could always carry his entire enclosure outside he is in one of those big long Rubbermaid totes that we would put wrapping paper in for Christmas. I moved recently from an apartment to a much larger town house and want to build him a cool tort table now! Now that he has gotten a taste of the outside world he lets me know when he wants to go out and play though. He actually climbs on top of his hide when is one of those half logs and stretches his neck out and stares me down!! He seems to only do that once every few days when he is really jonsing some outside time! He has quite the personality I love it. So he may be happy in his enclosure outside or mad that he is not free eating dandelion weeds :)

StephandTay

Lodi, WI
So when I do build a tort table I know I should use untreated wood or assuming. Is there a particular type of wood that anyone has a suggestion that is best? Also, I just use coconut coir as substrate and want to put in a couple live plants but don't know if those will grow in just that or if I will have to put soil under where the plants are placed? Also, my little guy may be named Tiny but he has a HUGE appetite so I wonder if having constant live plants around he will eat too much?! Can I seal the outside of the table as long as the wood inside is chemical free? He sits in my living room so have to make it pretty too :)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It's hard because I rent unfortunately and my landlord is picky about putting anything in the grass. I could always carry his entire enclosure outside he is in one of those big long Rubbermaid totes that we would put wrapping paper in for Christmas. I moved recently from an apartment to a much larger town house and want to build him a cool tort table now! Now that he has gotten a taste of the outside world he lets me know when he wants to go out and play though. He actually climbs on top of his hide when is one of those half logs and stretches his neck out and stares me down!! He seems to only do that once every few days when he is really jonsing some outside time! He has quite the personality I love it. So he may be happy in his enclosure outside or mad that he is not free eating dandelion weeds :)
Two things here...first, are you absolutely certain your landlord does not use any pesticides or lawn enhancements on the grass? You wouldn't want Tiny to be eating any of that.
Second, maybe you could get one of those collapsible dog runs? It wouldn't damage the grass, and it wouldn't be hard to carry, while still giving access to stuff to eat (if it's untreated). It's not very secure, but maybe safer than constant, eyes on tort for every second, can't even glance around kind of vigilance?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
So when I do build a tort table I know I should use untreated wood or assuming. Is there a particular type of wood that anyone has a suggestion that is best? Also, I just use coconut coir as substrate and want to put in a couple live plants but don't know if those will grow in just that or if I will have to put soil under where the plants are placed? Also, my little guy may be named Tiny but he has a HUGE appetite so I wonder if having constant live plants around he will eat too much?! Can I seal the outside of the table as long as the wood inside is chemical free? He sits in my living room so have to make it pretty too :)
I have no experience building a tort table, so will let someone else help out here.
@TechnoCheese
Do you have links for this?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I have no experience building a tort table, so will let someone else help out here.
@TechnoCheese
Do you have links for this?

Sadly, I don’t. I’ve been looking for some, though.

I just made a quick little diagram on a 3D modeling program of how I THINK it would work. I’ve never built a tortoise table, and Curtis’s closed chamber is a bit wobbly, leaky, and nowhere near 8x4 feet.

For the base, you would likely have to create a a support. This would probably allow you to use thinner, cheaper wood. This is also where you would add legs of you want them(I recommend adding wheels at the bottom)
IMG_1531332377.271495.jpg

Then, make a frame for the sides.IMG_1531332905.968038.jpg

Attach an 8x4 sheet of ply wood to the base
IMG_1531332945.675265.jpg
Cut another sheet of ply wood into thirds, or 16x96 inch strips. Use two of the strips for the longer sides, and cut the remaining strip in half for the shorter, so that you have two 16x48 inch strips. Attach them to the outside of the frame.IMG_1531333156.505037.jpg

Then, just line the inside. You could probably use a tarp, pond liner, heavy duty shower curtain, etc.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

StephandTay

Lodi, WI
That is awesome!!! I think you just designed my torts table you rock! Thank you :) So if I lined it with something sturdy I could probably still stain the outside of the wood? Should I glue the liner in you think or use one of those big staple guns? :) Thanks for the help and advice

StephandTay

Lodi, WI
Two things here...first, are you absolutely certain your landlord does not use any pesticides or lawn enhancements on the grass? You wouldn't want Tiny to be eating any of that.
Second, maybe you could get one of those collapsible dog runs? It wouldn't damage the grass, and it wouldn't be hard to carry, while still giving access to stuff to eat (if it's untreated). It's not very secure, but maybe safer than constant, eyes on tort for every second, can't even glance around kind of vigilance?

Even though the landlord is picky about me putting anything in the yard she also doesn't take of the yard the tenant does. So since I am responsible for the upkeep I have not put anything in the yard as far pesticides or weed killer and the woman there before who I knew actually didn't either so we are good there. A dog run isn't a bad idea. I will think of something I have had him a couple years now and we have always taken him outside even when we were in the apartments we would take him to the greenway to stroll. I know there might always be that time we look away but for the most part we are extremely careful with him outdoors.!

StephandTay

Lodi, WI
I don't remember...did you tell us how old your tort is? And we love pictures! [emoji2]
I am not really sure how old he is. I got him a couple years ago from a woman that owned a day care and had sold the business. She no longer wanted him. When I got him he was not completely taken care of the way he should be. I actually had no idea how to really care for him either so I got on here back in 2016 and learned a ton! Now he is a happy healthy eating and pooping machine lol! I have posted pics of him in the past on here. No idea where they went or if they are still on here. But I can definitely post some more. Right now I am at work shhhhhhh!!!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Even though the landlord is picky about me putting anything in the yard she also doesn't take of the yard the tenant does. So since I am responsible for the upkeep I have not put anything in the yard as far pesticides or weed killer and the woman there before who I knew actually didn't either so we are good there. A dog run isn't a bad idea. I will think of something I have had him a couple years now and we have always taken him outside even when we were in the apartments we would take him to the greenway to stroll. I know there might always be that time we look away but for the most part we are extremely careful with him outdoors.!
I have a 12 panel portable run that I found at a thrift store for $12.
You could check Craigslist, etc.
Since you do lawn care, you might even have a place to store it close by. It folds fairly flat.
Obviously you have been doing a great job watching him. I don't mean to nag. It's just that we read so many heartbreaking posts about this very situation.
So glad you can be sure about the grass! That's a problem for so many folks.

StephandTay

Lodi, WI
This is Tiny a pic I had of him on here from months ago. I know he is male and I think he was 5 ish when I got him so guess 7ish now.

Attachments

• Tiny.jpg
    Tiny.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 24

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I am not really sure how old he is. I got him a couple years ago from a woman that owned a day care and had sold the business. She no longer wanted him. When I got him he was not completely taken care of the way he should be. I actually had no idea how to really care for him either so I got on here back in 2016 and learned a ton! Now he is a happy healthy eating and pooping machine lol! I have posted pics of him in the past on here. No idea where they went or if they are still on here. But I can definitely post some more. Right now I am at work shhhhhhh!!!
Yes, I remember how work interferes with our fun! [emoji57]

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Some people use kiddie paddling pools as temporary outside enclosures for supervised sun time.
They can be easily moved about.
Make sure it has shade and water saucer etc and somewhere for him to hide.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I recommend this. It is not attached to the ground. You can make it 8x8. I attached welded wire under it and on the lid. Add dirt and cypress mulch. When you move, you can dismantle it and take it with you. Landlord should be ok with it. It’s not unsightly.

Attachments

• B2DF08C1-2479-4A99-9118-4264C00D3CD1.jpeg
    B2DF08C1-2479-4A99-9118-4264C00D3CD1.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 36

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
That is awesome!!! I think you just designed my torts table you rock! Thank you :) So if I lined it with something sturdy I could probably still stain the outside of the wood? Should I glue the liner in you think or use one of those big staple guns? :) Thanks for the help and advice

Yep, and I would use a staple gun :)

StephandTay

Lodi, WI
I recommend this. It is not attached to the ground. You can make it 8x8. I attached welded wire under it and on the lid. Add dirt and cypress mulch. When you move, you can dismantle it and take it with you. Landlord should be ok with it. It’s not unsightly.
That is a beautiful outdoor enclosure~! Thanks for the idea :)