Keeping cactus pads fresh

kelii

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
i want to order some cactus got my red foots, but since I only have two babies I'm worried it'll go bad and I'll waste money. What's the best way to keep it fresh? I would plant it, but I'm in an apartment, and I'm a serial plant killer.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I get cactus at a local Mexican grocer. I can buy 1 pad at a time. You can keep them in a cool dry place too.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
All my good-to-eat cactus are growing and I just buy mine for the babies at my local Walmart produce section. 1 pad last for few days and I keep it in the fridge. It is cheap, i think less than 1/2$ for a nice big young pad

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i want to order some cactus got my red foots, but since I only have two babies I'm worried it'll go bad and I'll waste money. What's the best way to keep it fresh? I would plant it, but I'm in an apartment, and I'm a serial plant killer.

Seriously, zero pilot is right. They are so easy to grow. Grab some dry sandy dirt from outside, put it in a pot and stick your pad about 1/3 to 1/2 in it. Put the pot in full sun. Don't water for one month, then water about once or twiçe a week, as needed.

What kilsl these pads is lack of ventilation. They don't need it cool. They need moving air. They last outside for several months if I set them somewhere with good ventilation, even with 100+ temps. Don't stack them on each other or put them in a container. I set mine on top of a wire dog crate in the shade outside and I've had them last a year like that.

kelii

5 Year Member
Georgia
I can try growing them, but I've killed cacti before. Would keeping the pot in my tortoise enclosure work?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can try growing them, but I've killed cacti before. Would keeping the pot in my tortoise enclosure work?

Probably not well. Too much humidity, lack of ventilation and not enough sun. Outdoors in full sun would be best. Indoors in front of a very sunny window would be next best.

TanksALot

South Carolina
I get cactus at a local Mexican grocer. I can buy 1 pad at a time. You can keep them in a cool dry place too.
I have to purchase in bulk (12 pads). Will they retain their "crispness"? My tortoise is a cactus snob and refuses limpy cactus pads.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have to purchase in bulk (12 pads). Will they retain their "crispness"? My tortoise is a cactus snob and refuses limpy cactus pads.
Keep them well ventilated and not in the fridge. and they should last for months. Lay them out somewhere open to the air. They need good ventilation. Putting them in a box or the fridge will rot them.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

You have to search out some Mexican grocery stores. Here in Maryland we have a few and they all sell very fresh cactus pads. We buy a few every few weeks & feed to our Sully.

Has to be a local market where you can just buy a few.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Well, all the really nice ones I got from @Tom are probably toast with the rain. I brought them inside and will try replanting them again later

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well, all the really nice ones I got from @Tom are probably toast with the rain. I brought them inside and will try replanting them again later
They should be okay. All the parent plants are out in the rain too. My potted ones look fine so far.

jeannettep

Texas
I'm not good at growing things but these are really easy to grow. I took a mostly eaten leaf & threw it out the door on the yard. It grew so I had to move it. Just picked it up & tossed it in a rock garden. Growing just fine.