Keeping indoor/outdoor tortoise?

Zoeee2426

Location (City and/or State)
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Hey forum! I got a 10 month old Mediterranean Spur Thigh Tortoise about a month ago and up until now it has not been good enough weather to keep her outdoors but it has recently warmed up a lot. I was wandering if it is a good idea to keep her outside during the day and bring her in at night because it gets very cold in my area. I was also wondering, if I were to put her out, what would be the best ‘enclosure’ for her; could i use a small animal run or would i need something slightly different? Also would having a wire roof affect her ability to get to UV rays from the sun. I would need to make it a wire roof as she is only small and there are tonnes of crows around. Thanks for the help!

(the attached pictures show her and her current set up... she has access to a large sleep box/hidey house that isn’t shown in the picture)

B1F22A23-5A91-4F13-8CCD-5850DDF83E7C.jpegF7405282-4E99-4DE0-8DEB-0AEE1CFC5774.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey forum! I got a 10 month old Mediterranean Spur Thigh Tortoise about a month ago and up until now it has not been good enough weather to keep her outdoors but it has recently warmed up a lot. I was wandering if it is a good idea to keep her outside during the day and bring her in at night because it gets very cold in my area. I was also wondering, if I were to put her out, what would be the best ‘enclosure’ for her; could i use a small animal run or would i need something slightly different? Also would having a wire roof affect her ability to get to UV rays from the sun. I would need to make it a wire roof as she is only small and there are tonnes of crows around. Thanks for the help!

(the attached pictures show her and her current set up... she has access to a large sleep box/hidey house that isn’t shown in the picture)
Having an indoor AND an outdoor enclosure s really the best way to go. Best of both worlds. Outside when the weather is nice, and inside when its not. There are many ways to make an outdoor enclosure. Cinderblocks, 2x12s, kiddie pool, etc... Any wire top will block a small percentage of the UV, but this is not a problem at all. Your tortoise should have proper indoor UV, and dietary supplements with D3 can help too. Here is a simple enclosure I made a few years ago:
IMG_2515.JPG
If you don't have a suitable flat area, this could be made on a plywood base. Cinderblocks can be made to conform to the contours of the ground. A kiddie pool would just need substrate, hiding areas and decorations and a lid.

In your picture, your baby looks very dry and dehydrated. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry, and your conditions definitely are too dry. Babies need moderate humidity and daily soaks. You really need to make some changes to the enclosure. That substrate is much too dry, They need something that can be kept damp like orchid bark or coco coir. Care for your species is the same as care for Russians. Give these a read and then please come back with any questions:

Zoeee2426

Cornwall, United Kingdom
Having an indoor AND an outdoor enclosure s really the best way to go. Best of both worlds. Outside when the weather is nice, and inside when its not. There are many ways to make an outdoor enclosure. Cinderblocks, 2x12s, kiddie pool, etc... Any wire top will block a small percentage of the UV, but this is not a problem at all. Your tortoise should have proper indoor UV, and dietary supplements with D3 can help too. Here is a simple enclosure I made a few years ago:
View attachment 290500
If you don't have a suitable flat area, this could be made on a plywood base. Cinderblocks can be made to conform to the contours of the ground. A kiddie pool would just need substrate, hiding areas and decorations and a lid.

In your picture, your baby looks very dry and dehydrated. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry, and your conditions definitely are too dry. Babies need moderate humidity and daily soaks. You really need to make some changes to the enclosure. That substrate is much too dry, They need something that can be kept damp like orchid bark or coco coir. Care for your species is the same as care for Russians. Give these a read and then please come back with any questions:
Ok thank you :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've got another helpful hint for you: The Mercury Vapor Bulbs (which I'm assuming that is) are not meant to hang at an angle like you have yours. That shortens the life of the bulb. They should hang straight down, and no closer than 12" from the top of the tortoise's back.

Zoeee2426

Cornwall, United Kingdom
I've got another helpful hint for you: The Mercury Vapor Bulbs (which I'm assuming that is) are not meant to hang at an angle like you have yours. That shortens the life of the bulb. They should hang straight down, and no closer than 12" from the top of the tortoise's back.
Yes thank you for that... this picture was taken a few weeks ago... the bulb has been fixed straight since ?