Keeping Torts in Minnesota/Wisconsin

Emelia

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
I've been doing extensive research on how to successfully "raise" a tortoise up here in the north but I figured I'd like to ask anyone who has torts up here in the north how they care for theirs!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Emilia , and a very warm welcome to the forum. :):tort:

Once you do "adopt" a tort, please do not forget to post pics of the tort and his/her enclosure. ;)

In the meantime, you could read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and do not hesitate to ask any question. :)

Sorry, can't help with your question: I live far, very far: in Jordan. :(

Meganolvt

Michigan
I live in Michigan, and it is difficult in the winter. The key is a big enclosure for winter and a great outdoor enclosure for when it is warm enough. Along with correct diet, temps, etc, of course. I have found that eco earth is my friend for substrate. It is easy to use and easy to dump water on to help with humidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been doing extensive research on how to successfully "raise" a tortoise up here in the north but I figured I'd like to ask anyone who has torts up here in the north how they care for theirs!

Hello and welcome.

What species have you got? Care for a russian up there will be different than care for an adult sulcata.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm in Chicago. I personally don't think it's difficult. It's more expensive. Electric and food bill in the winter months. However, as long as you have the money and room to build a heated shed for a large tortoise or a big indoor enclosure for a smaller one it can be done, any species.

Emelia

Minnesota
I'm in Chicago. I personally don't think it's difficult. It's more expensive. Electric and food bill in the winter months. However, as long as you have the money and room to build a heated shed for a large tortoise or a big indoor enclosure for a smaller one it can be done, any species.

My family and I keep a heated garage so I was thinking in the winters months that would be good for a larger species if it can't come into the house. With extra heat lamps/UV bulbs would that be good?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That would work. I would make a large hide for him to sleep in and where the floor is insulated. Even heated garages have cold floors.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
This is entirely my opinion. Most of northern North America is tough for tortoise keepers. Our winter climate is usually too cold and damp to allow natural hibernation, even for Russians. The need to keep them indoors for several months strains our resources- it is really hard to make a large enough indoor enclosure with the properly controlled climate, warm floors, and good lighting.

It is absolutely doable, but to do it right takes a bit of commitment on the keepers part.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I agree, anything is possible but you must get the set-up right before getting the tortoise.

Kaliman1962

i am in northern suburbs of chicago, I have a Greek Ibera, that i house indoors, much more manageable than a sulcata, which i had but that's another story

Ernie Johnson

5 Year Member
McKinney, Texas
Emelia,

I kept Russian's, Greek's, and Redfoot's in a Minneapolis suburb for the twenty years we lived there until moving to Dallas in June of 2015, where they're all a LOT happier.

Russian's are the easiest and if they are your tort I have a comprehensive video course on their husbandry (with almost all of the outdoor and indoor pens from Minnesota), which goes over keeping them outdoors, indoors, and hibernating them in that part of the country.

I'll get you a free coupon if you're interested.