Keeping two together

kab789

Location (City and/or State)
Gibraltar
Hi all, i have a greek but not sure which type is it ok to keep another greek with him if they may be different subspecies?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What ever type, or types, they are, it is not advisable to keep tortoises in pairs. Sexes don't matter either. They can sometimes be successfully kept in groups, but pairs are usually a problem.

Best to house them individually.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
To expand a bit more on Tom's reply - tortoises are territorial. They don't want other tortoises within their boundaries, and will fight, sometimes to the death, protecting their space.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Any two animals kept together will create a subordinate/superior relationship. This works for social species as well. as asocial. It may not be visible, but it IS happening. The way to co-house tortoises so this does not happen is to diffuse this system by having more than three in the enclosure (not taking into account sexual dynamics). This means a biigger enclosure required too. So much space for two they would not encounter each other daily, not because one hides, but because the chances of the encounter, when both are out and about doing 'tortoise' things as such they may see each other once every few days at the most. Tortoises are for the most part not social animals, the subordinate one will always do less and be intimidated, this leads to short term high stress resulting in a depleted animal, which means lower immunity, long term low stress, poor weight gain and growth etc.

There are indeed many congregations of all types of animals, social and asocial, in the wild including turtles and tortoises. Escape from each other is possible, and the short term influence creating the congregation serves some purpose like an overabundant food or water supply, a scarce food or water supply, or mating/reproduction need.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
This is why I always keep my tortoises separate. One tortoise, one enclosure. Fact is that I'm not one of those guys who can stay and watch his tortoises 24/7. I wish I was one of those guys. I mean, that would be totally awesome. But I'm not. So, with each animal in his/her own enclosure, I can be ensured that each tortoise is given the greatest opportunity to thrive. Let's face it. Even if you keep your tortoises in a large group, every person I know who does this and has managed it for any length of time maintains separation paddocks to isolate particularly aggressive animals. Sometimes, this isolation is seasonal, sometimes occasional, sometimes more permanent than not. Now, don't get me wrong. I think the occasional high stress situation for a tortoise is beneficial. This is why every spring and fall, I introduce my tortoises to engage in ritual combat. These bouts don't last longer than a few minutes, and I always referee the fights to ensure that they don't get out of hand. After these fights, the tortoises usually go on the defensive, patrolling their territory and behaving in a lively fashion, rather than grazing in the spot closest to their shelter, growing fat and lazy.

But if you're going to acquire another species, strict separation is absolutely essential.

T.G.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Tidgy is master of all she surveys.
She would be gutted, if I were to introduce another tortoise into her little empire.
I just know it.
Regarding outside space, I think it may be ok, for 2 of the same species, if you have enough of it and their indoor enclosures are separate.
But you'd need rather a lot, I expect.

kab789

Gibraltar
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433609517.466478.jpg

Bob met his new little "sister" today, they have their own homes but see each other when they get their daily sunshine

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
In this case they have already met, but if you ever get another tortoise the newcomer needs to be quarantined for a several months at least (6+) to minimize the risk of introducing diseases to your other tortoises.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
In this case they have already met, but if you ever get another tortoise the newcomer needs to be quarantined for a several months at least (6+) to minimize the risk of introducing diseases to your other tortoises.
Different pens, bowls, everything.

Keith D.

Arizona
To expand a bit more on Tom's reply - tortoises are territorial. They don't want other tortoises within their boundaries, and will fight, sometimes to the death, protecting their space.
From my research some species of tortoises, like Aldabra and Galopogos actually like grouping together. I may be wrong but I don't think I am, I have wanted a Aldabra since I could say Aldabra lol and have tons of books and videos on the species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
From my research some species of tortoises, like Aldabra and Galopogos actually like grouping together. I may be wrong but I don't think I am, I have wanted a Aldabra since I could say Aldabra lol and have tons of books and videos on the species.

Some species are definitely less likely to demonstrate overt aggression, Aldabras being one of them, but even they don't always get along. Also, a group in a large outdoor enclosure is totally different that a pair in a relatively small enclosure.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
That explains why I fight everyone who steps in my yard. Grrr.

kab789

Gibraltar
Hi all, i usually feed my adult the below and also fresh leaves, is this ok to give to the little one too? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434101947.316247.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I feed the same product, which I get from Spain, to my Tidgy.
When she was smaller, she sometimes had difficulty eating them dry and would spit them out, so I used to break them in half or soak them, or hide bits in her food. She loved the smell, but had some difficulty with the eating.
However, I'd say from my experience, this little problem aside, they're fine.
Tidgy still eats them and now gollops them down whole.

kab789

Gibraltar
Great i'll try soaking them a little, thats what i was worried about really that she might choke