Kidney stone?

Geng

5 Year Member
Hello guys,

I was cleaning the enclosure of my Russian last night (male, around 7 years old). I saw some whitish/grey thing in dirt. I thought it was a piece of her endive or poo. I picked up and it was very hard and solid, like stone. I washed the dirt off and it really was a piece of stone. I never encountered stones or anything in the enclosure before. I clean the enclosure daily and moistes the subrate weekely, but never saw any stone.

Does this look like kidney or bladder stone? Does anyone have experience with it? It looks really big to pass, so I really hope it is not a kidney stone. My tortoise is acting normal. He is active and has a good appetite.

Attachments

• PXL_20220324_235633046.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220324_235633046.MP.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20220324_235638997.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220324_235638997.MP.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 7

TeamZissou

Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
It does not look like a bladder stone. Here's a photo of a bladder stone, they are more white and chalky in appearance:

Are you using actual dirt(soil) for substrate? If so, this rock was most likely already mixed in with the dirt and you just did not see it. A tortoise might try to eat something like this. Many people use fir bark/orchid bark/ZooMed Repitbark for indoor substrate to avoid potential problems like rocks.

Geng

5 Year Member
It does not look like a bladder stone. Here's a photo of a bladder stone, they are more white and chalky in appearance:

Are you using actual dirt(soil) for substrate? If so, this rock was most likely already mixed in with the dirt and you just did not see it. A tortoise might try to eat something like this. Many people use fir bark/orchid bark/ZooMed Repitbark for indoor substrate to avoid potential problems like rocks.
I use coco coir.

I seriously hope it is some random piece of rock I have never seen. Also it is quite big for him to pass...