Killer Tortoise

BirdHerder

Location (City and/or State)
Walla Walla, WA
My guinea hen hatched out 16 chicks yesterday and today a couple of them were found dead/mangled. The usual suspects are the peacocks or swans or perhaps even one of the other guineas. But no, my sulcata Nick was witnessed grabbing one of the chicks with his mouth then pulling his head and arms in, crushing it to death. And he chased it down to do it. I've seen other birds come steal food out of his dish right under his nose and he doesn't seem to pay them any attention. Anyone else notice killer tendencies in their torts?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
In the wild tortoise are opportunist and will feed on what they come across. But could also just be an aggressive male protecting his territory. From what ur explaining i would say the latter

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My guinea hen hatched out 16 chicks yesterday and today a couple of them were found dead/mangled. The usual suspects are the peacocks or swans or perhaps even one of the other guineas. But no, my sulcata Nick was witnessed grabbing one of the chicks with his mouth then pulling his head and arms in, crushing it to death. And he chased it down to do it. I've seen other birds come steal food out of his dish right under his nose and he doesn't seem to pay them any attention. Anyone else notice killer tendencies in their torts?
None of mine ever did that sort of thing, but I have heard first hand accounts from two different sulcata owners that watched them hunt, catch, kill and eat gophers.

I've also seen footage of a Galapagos tortoise in the wild standing tall and still at the water's edge and waiting for little finches to come get under him for shade while drinking. Then the tortoise would plop down on them, back up and eat the smashed little birdies. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, but there is was.

BirdHerder

Walla Walla, WA
Wow, can we see a picture of Nick?
TurkeyNick.jpg
Here he is in his winter home. I keep coturnix quail and raised some turkey poults in the greenhouse where his overwintering spot is. They would frequently come into his room and use him like a jungle gym and cuddle up to him to sleep. There was never any sign of hostility which is why his current behavior is kind of shocking.

BirdHerder

Walla Walla, WA
In the wild tortoise are opportunist and will feed on what they come across. But could also just be an aggressive male protecting his territory. From what ur explaining i would say the latter
Maybe it is a territorial/ breeding season thing. He closely cohabitated with little birds earlier in the year with no problem.