Kinda irritated but its my fault in the end....

Status
Not open for further replies.

IowaGuy28

5 Year Member
I went on Vacation for the forth of July, down to Branson, Missouri for 5 days. I had/have a pet sitter (mostly for my cat) who I text directions about how to feed my Tilley. Driving home today I text me female friend and she said there were no problems and that the cat loves her. From that I asked if she figured out how to feed Tilley and she replied yes.
Once I got home my trusted roommate came outside and said he had not seen my pet sitter the entire time I was gone. He also said he had fed my cat but had No idea how to feed my tort. My reply was "if she's still alive right now I can take care of her".
I walked to Tilleys enclosure and so NO food and NO water.....she literally ran over my hand when I got food and water in her enclosure.
Do I have a shady friend?

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
OMG! Not cool at all! I would be so angry!So, your friend was never there at all???
That is not a friend! I am so sorry this happened. I am glad Tilley is ok!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
How's Tilley doing? Sorry to hear about the crappy sitter. How come you didn't just have your trusted roomie watch them? At least now you know who you can rely on and learn for next time. Hope your baby's well!

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
That is not cool at all. Strike them off your friends list. Hope Tilley's doing better.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would be man spitting fire mad !!!!! Glad your tort and cat is ok .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

erica anne

5 Year Member
Shame on her for leaving those animals stranded for food and water. That is cruel. Glad they are okay!!

abclements

5 Year Member
I agree that it's not very cool of your friend to lie to you, but just an fyi, a tort can go many more days than 5 without food. Water is a little less time but still, tilly can last 5 days without Water as well. Hope that makes you feel better a little better about the whole situation! :)

IowaGuy28

5 Year Member
I honestly don't know if my sitter was here or not, she has done smaller things in the past that (in my black book) defined her as unreliable. The sickening past was when I saw the water bowl.....*VERY mad look* it was bone dry! I literally dropped everything, I had a truck Full of furniture, and got greens and water in there.....then my hand got run over as I mentioned earlier. Tilley appears to be ok and I even apologized to her.

zman7590

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Kinda irritated but its my fault in the end....

IowaGuy28 said:
I honestly don't know if my sitter was here or not, she has done smaller things in the past that (in my black book) defined her as unreliable. The sickening past was when I saw the water bowl.....*VERY mad look* it was bone dry! I literally dropped everything, I had a truck Full of furniture, and got greens and water in there.....then my hand got run over as I mentioned earlier. Tilley appears to be ok and I even apologized to her.

I dislike people that make you trust them with something so big and then do nothing... Don't do it if its so hard ya know?

Sent from my SGH-T769 using TortForum mobile app

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay, this may sound dumb or in some way accusing you of something BUT you have a roommate you call "my trusted roommate" yet you leave the care of your animals to a woman you describe as: "she has done smaller things in the past that (in my black book) defined her as unreliable"? Call me stupid, but this seems like something very wrong to leave your animals with unreliable rather then trusted. He says (the trusted roommate) that she never showed up, does that mean he never left?

I am glad the tortoise was fine and as you have found out, they can go for some time without food and water. The larger and healthier the tortoise the longer that time period can be. It's not ideal, but survivable.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Jacqui.. I had the same 'huh?' moment..
and why didn't the roommate call or text... How hard is it to fill a water bowl or toss some veggies in a tortoise pen?

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Still this "friend" shouldn't have lied about the whole thing. They could of just said no in the first place. I really hope you didn't pay this "friend" to help you lol

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Re: RE: Kinda irritated but its my fault in the end....

Laura said:
Jacqui.. I had the same 'huh?' moment..
and why didn't the roommate call or text... How hard is it to fill a water bowl or toss some veggies in a tortoise pen?

I'm glad i wasn't the only one confused...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

IowaGuy28

5 Year Member
Nope, I didn't pay her. She has looked over my cat in the past and I had Tilley boarded at a local pet store. I used the term "trusted roommate" in the meaning that should something bad happen like a fire or break-in or something along those lines, he would know what to do instead of just freak out. It was my fault in the end and I've learned from this mistake.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd give the girl the benefit of the doubt. Ask her if she came over and why the water bowl was dry and no food. Was the room mate home 24/7, to actually see if she came and went?

If she did flake, well, at least you know about her now. I knew someone like that. Told me that things would get done, and then they clearly didn't... I just hire someone else now.

Like Jacqui said, not ideal, but it would take a lot more than 5 days to harm your tortoise.

Lesson learned man.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Invite her over, see if the cat really does like her or not lol

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

Status
Not open for further replies.