Kinixys genetics research

genixys

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hi everyone,

I'm currently a Master's student at Towson University conducting a genetics study on Kinixys with the goal of providing tested microsatellite primers for future conservation genetics studies throughout the genus. Currently none are developed and no population genetic studies have been conducted. Since I'm looking for high-quality DNA, I've been having trouble finding enough useful sources from museum collections (often fixed in formalin, which can cause damage to the DNA). This DNA would then be sequenced using next generation sequencing, providing a portion of the genome, or using newly designed microsatellite primers.

If anyone is in Maryland (or close by) and interested in helping, I would greatly appreciate sampling from belliana belliana, nogueyi, spekii, natalensis, lobatsiana, and especially zombensis. I already have multiple samples from homeana and erosa.

If you'd like more information and want to speak in private, please also reach out! Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have several Kinixys keepers here on the Forum, but I can't think of any in Maryland. Have you talked to @HermanniChris in New Jersey? (Sorry if NJ is too far from Maryland - Geography is not my strong suit)

genixys

Maryland
We have several Kinixys keepers here on the Forum, but I can't think of any in Maryland. Have you talked to @HermanniChris in New Jersey? (Sorry if NJ is too far from Maryland - Geography is not my strong suit)

NJ's actually quite close! I haven't spoken with him. If I don't hear from him in a while, I'll try to reach out to him. Thanks!

genixys

Maryland
Thank you all for your help! I'll reach out to Chris and see if he has any leads he might be able to give.

For more info, my project has been reviewed by the IACUC at my university, and they support the collection of fecal samples or even shed skin samples (I know, less common) for DNA. This is intended to be the least invasive approach for DNA sampling. IACUC stands for Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, and they oversee the use of animals in research studies conducted by people at the university. Their goal is to make sure animals are treated as humanely as possible.

My research is intended to help with conservation management of both wild and captive (reassurance colony) populations for Kinixys. A suite of microsatellites are used to determine how closely related individuals are to each other, primarily by documenting the amount of genetic diversity within and among populations. This information can then be used to eyeball the amount of genetic variation available for the population to evolve, degree of inbreeding, and how much at risk the population is at going extinct. For captive populations, microsatellites can inform how to best supplement them (who to breed), how to keep individuals separate to better represent regional diversity in wild populations, and to which populations individuals can be re-introduced to best maintain genetic diversity and population structuring. I hope to design and test microsatellite primers for their ability to amplify specific regions of the DNA, and I would love to be able to do this for all species within Kinixys.