Kittens!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
So cute. I'm glad you got two siblings. My daughter adopted two sibling kittens in 11/13 and they are so attached to each other and do everything together. They entertain each other when she is at work (and sleep a lot, lol).

edwardbo

5 Year Member
are they deaf ? i recall hearing white cats with a patch on head is usually deaf ?

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Re: RE: Kittens!

edwardbo said:
are they deaf ? i recall hearing white cats with a patch on head is usually deaf ?

Interesting, I've never heard that (Google here i come!) But no, definitely not deaf!!

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I think if the cat/dog has white hairs inside the ears, there is higher chance of deafness.

I'll try to find a picture of moe wth his spot vs now. I'll post a progression thread sometime this week. It'll be neat to see if yours do the same.

Edit: I looked up deafness. Here's what I found.

Contrary to popular belief, not all white cats are deaf. There is however, a correlation between white blue-eyed cats and deafness, such that certain white blue-eyed cats are deaf. In cats with odd eyes, deafness is expected to affect the ear on the side of the blue eye. However, this is not true for all blue-eyed or odd-eyed white cats.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
So it's been a long road of socializing these 2, but they are now well-adjusted young cats!

I'm really glad we ended up with these 2, because I'm not sure just anyone could have given them the intense attention and socialization they needed. I know it sounds like I'm tooting my own horn but it's true. When we were looking at these two at the foster mom's house, she asked if we'd have the patience. I told her we owned a tortoise, which requires the patience of a saint!

We ended up keeping them in our bathroom for 2 whole months. They were too little and too shy to let into the rest of the house because we'd never see them! The boy, Matteo, warmed up to us quickly but the girl, Mia, did not. When we first brought her home, just making eye contact would make her run and hide! She had a relentless fear of hands and wanted no physical contact.

Then in March, she had a ruptured abcess on her neck from playing with her brother. Long story short, after a month of trying to cover it and keep her from scratching and antibiotics we brought her back to the vet. The vet gave her a steroid shot to stop the scratching. It worked like a charm and had the added bonus of fixing an unknown skin condition that was apparently making her skin sensitive (we think maybe flea bite allergy)!

After the steroid shot she was a totally new kitten that wanted to be pet and loved. She now headbutts and rubs against legs like a cat should!

Here they are today. Matteo is about 8-9 lbs, while Mia is a tiny little thing at about 6lbs.
1403189988679.jpg

"Shy" girl
1403190207213.jpg

1403190315687.jpg

They're too big to share their favorite spot now...
1403190380083.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Love the sleeping picture! Cats are right up there at the top of my "favorites" list!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Don't be surprised if the gray spot disappears. My white boy had a big dark gray spot when he was a kitten. Now it's a faint silver spot

I love white cats.

@goReptiles , I was just looking through my old posts recently, and re-discovered your comment about the grey spots disappearing... We've been noticing lately that their get spots are lighter, but I didn't realize just how much until I took some comparison photos! They're definitely disappearing. I guess I'll eventually have all-white cats! :)

1453668641972.jpg

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
They are adorable! I have 3 feral born brothers, now turning 7. Their wild mom had them in our wood shed and we managed to catch and rescue them (as well as going on a spay/neuter campaign catching/releasing mom and several other of her older wild litters).
Definitely patience with your adorable pair, they will come around. My 3 boys are very comfortable and affectionate with the family here, but they are invisible whenever anyone else is in the house. Never lost their cautious streak, I guess that comes in handy living wild.image.jpg

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
They are adorable! I have 3 feral born brothers, now turning 7. Their wild mom had them in our wood shed and we managed to catch and rescue them (as well as going on a spay/neuter campaign catching/releasing mom and several other of her older wild litters).
Definitely patience with your adorable pair, they will come around. My 3 boys are very comfortable and affectionate with the family here, but they are invisible whenever anyone else is in the house. Never lost their cautious streak, I guess that comes in handy living wild.View attachment 163401
Mine are the exact same way! Most people don't know we have cats hahaha (minus the cat hair everywhere). Despite being a wonderful lap cat, the girl will NOT give you the chance to pick her up. In the two years I've had these two, she's never willingly been picked up/handled.

Meanwhile, we have a feral cat that lives on our deck, and I can pick HIM up. Seriously?? Lol (his mom had him under our shed 8 years ago and we got them trapped/fixed and when they were returned, the mom took off. Naturally, we provided a heated enclosure and food and therefore he adopted us (long story, but we couldn't bring him inside when he was a kitten :-( ).