Baby kittens and cold weather (what would you do?)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Our local shelter posted on facebook a cool idea: take an igloo cooler and cut a hole in the side just big enough for a cat to fit through. Fill with straw. The insulation plus that cats body heat warm the cooler up and keep it warm enough for cats to survive cold winter nights.....maybe place it in the area the cat is in and see if she moves them????

You can also use two plastic totes (with one being slightly smaller then the other). You place a layer of the insulation board between the two totes. Do the hole and straw thing, same as the cooler. Use straw because it works better then blankets.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What I did that night was stayed up all night worrying about them and checking on them. They survived and are still doing well. I took a brand new unused heating pad (so it would not have my scent on it), slowly each visit I moved it closer to the kittens until finally I could (without touching the kittens) move it under them. Once it was under them, then I have been going out about every two hours to turn it back on (auto shut off after two hours).

As to comments about food and water, I have four major feeding stations setup and stocked including keeping thawed water out there. The nearest one to this nesting spot is the other end of the garage. I have about 40 feral cats who depend on me for food, water and medical care (including spay/neutering as I can afford it). It's never ending because about as soon as everybody is pretty much all done and up on shots, somebody dumps me a new cat or bunch of cats. :(

Prairie Mom

:<3::<3:I'm reading your dilemma and admit that your feral & abandoned cat problems just make me adore and respect you all the more! I'm sure this is really stressful for you and I understand the pain of having to go out there and turn on the heat pad every two hours--I hate those things! I think you're amazing for caring for these animals and love hearing that you spay& neuter as you can.:<3::<3:

M

Maggie Cummings

I have to admit, personally I do enjoy the looks of tuxedo cats and calicos better then other coat colors/patterns. If you check inside my house at my personal group of cats, you will see almost everybody is either a black or dark tabby/tiger. :rolleyes:

Funny you should say that...Meet Lil Roxie. She weighs 8 pounds and is 14 yrs old...

This is Maks. She weighs 17 pounds and is 6 yrs old..I want a new kitten and a long haired orange is what I want...
IMG_2767.JPG IMG_2073.JPG

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I have multiple stray cats (we call them barn cats) and 2 have litters now, one litter is only 3 days old. Our temps have been very cold and both momma cats chose the front of the barn to raise the kittens. Their really not protected from the elements at all and have been doing just fine. Momma will take care of them, I wouldn't bother them. I have been given my momma cats kitten chow (I usually don't feed the barn cats) just to help them out so they can do what they need for the baby's but that's it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
perhaps a bit more because they were uglier then most (I tend to go for the underdog).

This my dea,r is what I believed to be more you, more of a person of substance...hence the question I had....I do apologize if my blunt question was put out there....and I did suspect you to be this person--- by now....again, that was the basis of my confusion/question....

My yard too is patrolled by dark tiger tabby cats/ along with a couple peach tiger tabby cats and a couple black and white long hairs....they show up for some rubbin and grubbin in the am and then again in the night....;)

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
I have 5 kittens about 5 months old and 2 that are barely 6 wks old. They were all born feral and have been in my care since they were about 5 weeks old. All trained to use litter box and extremely loving. These are about the last ones for awhilevim thinking I've gotten on mamas fixed around here except the ones that keep getting dumped here. Sometimes its like a never ending battle lol. I'm always looking forr homes for kittens. There's whatvthey call feral cat colonies here in san antonio. ACS will sell you a permit to have one. I personally wish everyone would just get their adult cats fixed. I love baby kittens yet cringe when I see one or more. Poor babies didn't ask to be here. I think they all deserve a shot at a loving home. I do my best to have all adults fixed and shots for them and all babies.
Ms Jacqui Id probably do what you did, Their mom will keep them warm . Id be afraid of her abandoning them. I never have had to much luck raising very young kittens. After about 3 wks old they are a little but not much easier. Good Luck

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Luckily even the mother of the last wild batch was friendly and she was also adopted out. We did lose one kitten to raccoons. Most of the mechanics here put in money for the vet, etc. I hope that your situation also has a happy ending.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have multiple stray cats (we call them barn cats) .

Around here we call them either strays or barn cats, too. I have learned that the majority of places use the term feral, so I do too when I talk about them on here.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My poor husband is coming by tonight and spending his sleeper hours here with me (he's a truckdriver for those who don't know). I warned the poor guy that I will be waking him up about every two hours and then coming back to bed all cold, because I have heating pad duty. o_O Good thing he loves me and the critters.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My poor husband is coming by tonight and spending his sleeper hours here with me (he's a truckdriver for those who don't know). I warned the poor guy that I will be waking him up about every two hours and then coming back to bed all cold, because I have heating pad duty. o_O Good thing he loves me and the critters.
He can just help you get warm again :) :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Who wouldn't want a black cat?
vopmdc.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Gosh that's a cute picture, David.

Kenno

5 Year Member
Southern California
This probably won't help, but there's an old story up in Maine about a man from New Hampshire who married a Maine girl and moved to her home town. He was there for decades, raised a family, worked alongside the locals, but was never fully accepted and was always treated like an outsider. One night in a tavern he asked his father-in-law why that was. The older man told him,
"You might raise kittens in a warm oven, but that don't make them biscuits!"