Knats in substrate

Yamaha4x4_19

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
St. Louis
Hey guys I need your help. I have a huge infestation of bugs in my closed chamber enclosure. I have always used Eco earth or top soil as substrate before I built my new closed chamber enclosure. But when I built this new cage I switched to cypress mulch. I've noticed some flying bugs in there lately that look like little Knats but I just got back from vacation and it is infested inside. How do I get rid of them? Is it because I'm using cypress mulch? How do I prevent them and should I switch substrate? Or is it impossible to keep them out since its a closed chamber cage and bugs love humidity. Any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would change it out and go back to the coco chore .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
can happen with any substrate..but many members here put pill bugs (rollie polies) in there, they help with gnats and eat the food scraps, without harming your tortoise in any way.

0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pitbull/American Bulldog

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Really nate, do we have them here? I know back east they are everywhere. I sometimes have a problem, but not often.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As already said. You will get them with any substrate. What you can do is boil, bake or freeze the substrate instead of replacing it. It will help to keep them away long. However, they will eventually come back again. Then just repeat. In my experience of dealing with theses bugs. I have done the freezing and the baking of the substrate. Baking worked better. Another member, I think Neal, has good luck with boiling his.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Give the chamber a fresh change of substrate to rid you of the abundant population. Then, add some of the pill bugs with the fresh batch of dirt/coir/mulch. Whichever you choose.

Sent from my TFOapp

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
When I had fruit flies in my house, I noticed they loved the coco coir.