Komodo Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

twyeiohdc

5 Year Member
i was just wondering is it possible to get komodo dragon's?
If so how much do u think they would go for??

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Get in line pal! Me first! Then Tom! I knew a couple of the Keepers at Metrozoo (Miami) and they got baby Dragons like clockwork! Hmmmmm! Maybe I shoulda stayed in FL. In a nutshell...good luck!

Schlomo

5 Year Member
Robert said:
An insight into my life: Komodo Dragon is the animal on this planet that I fear the most.

insight into mine, this is the animal I fear the most:

Hemidactylus-frenatus-2.jpg

I see a picture and just cringe. I screamed like a little girl when one of these fell on me.

Komodo's are kind of cute. Wouldn't want to be near one when it's hungry though.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Schlomo said:
Robert said:
An insight into my life: Komodo Dragon is the animal on this planet that I fear the most.

insight into mine, this is the animal I fear the most:

Hemidactylus-frenatus-2.jpg

I see a picture and just cringe. I screamed like a little girl when one of these fell on me.

Komodo's are kind of cute. Wouldn't want to be near one when it's hungry though.

Schlomo, your pic isn't showing up for me.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Unless you're at a zoo I don't think you can get them. Aren't they big and poisonous?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
abra said:
Unless you're at a zoo I don't think you can get them. Aren't they big and poisonous?

Babies imprint quite readily. I would NEVER condone bringing in a mature dragon...always raise them from a hatchling (if you can get your hands on one).

natty01

5 Year Member
lmao i cant imagine keeping one as pet , guess its like the people who keep tigers and chimps

DeanS said:
Get in line pal! Me first! Then Tom! I knew a couple of the Keepers at Metrozoo (Miami) and they got baby Dragons like clockwork! Hmmmmm! Maybe I shoulda stayed in FL. In a nutshell...good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are my favorite animal in the whole world. They are legal to own if you get one from a captive bred source. You need permits to cross state lines. Last I heard babies were around $10,000 and only available to AZA accredited facilities.

I will have one some day. They are reputed to exist in the private sector, but I have not found them.... yet.

There is one researcher who claims to have found a "venom" gland. Many disagree and this is a matter of debate. Personally, I do not consider them venomous.

BTW, Rob, that's really weird. Of all the scary sea creatures, horribly aggressive venomous snakes, huge fanged big cats, deadly horned hoofstock animals, and swarming killer insects in the world, you picked a monitor lizard to be MOST afraid of!?! What?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
They will never be in Public hands.........The Indonesian Gov't owns every legal Komodo in captivity........Doesn't matter if what fillial generation they are........You need permission from the Indo Gov't along with AZA accredidation, and endorsement from AZA accredited Facilities.......Lots of Red tape and the AZA good ol' boy system to acquire a legal animal.........

I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find a few on the open market, but good luck trying to hide one........

Schlomo

5 Year Member
Regarding the venom - I've read that wild Komodo's mouths are so full of virulent bacteria, which essentially acts as "venom". I assume with a captive bred one they wouldn't have all that bacteria?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
EricIvins said:
They will never be in Public hands.........The Indonesian Gov't owns every legal Komodo in captivity........Doesn't matter if what fillial generation they are........You need permission from the Indo Gov't along with AZA accredidation, and endorsement from AZA accredited Facilities.......Lots of Red tape and the AZA good ol' boy system to acquire a legal animal.........

I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find a few on the open market, but good luck trying to hide one........

This differs from what I was told by a man with 40 years of import/export experience. He is also interested in acquiring one and has researched the requirements extensively. He is currently permitted for everything from King Cobras to Nile Crocs. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying this is not what I have been told by the people who have the Komodos now or by my importer friend.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I'm saying he's wrong! The Indonesian government owns every animal exported...NOT animals hatched abroad! In other words, the thousands of dragon babies hatched in the States alone...belong to the institution where the hatched! We're not talking about Giant Pandas here...they are the ONLY animal that remian the property of their native land!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
DeanS said:
I'm saying he's wrong! The Indonesian government owns every animal exported...NOT animals hatched abroad! In other words, the thousands of dragon babies hatched in the States alone...belong to the institution where the hatched! We're not talking about Giant Pandas here...they are the ONLY animal that remian the property of their native land!

Animals hatched abroad by animals loaned out by a Gov't are still property of the original Gov't........Ownership doesn't transfer just because of a fillial generation......That's one of the many reasons why they are tracked and managed - It isn't all about TMPs like many think........

The only Legal animals would have to come from Lineages in captivity prior to when the animals were ESA listed and brought in legally, which would bypass both the ESA and CITES1 listing. Provided the ESA guidelines for Interstate Commerce are followed, and the paper trail on the lineage can be confirmed........Good luck with that, because very few Institutions could keep them alive, let alone reproduce them........

I seriously doubt someone is going to "gift" anyone in the Private sector in the US a "legal" Komodo........Myswell try for a Ploughshare Tortoise while you're at it........I have no doubt the black market will start to open up in the next few years though.......The Institutions that do have them are producing way too many, and the Taxon management programs are starting to force animals/pairings out of the program........They do pop up in the far East from time to time, and that's about one of the few places you won't get heat for keeping them in private hands........

Bottom line, if they were going to be in private hands in the US, it would have already happened........You'll find more Perentie Monitors in private hands than you will Komodos......

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Tom said:
BTW, Rob, that's really weird. Of all the scary sea creatures, horribly aggressive venomous snakes, huge fanged big cats, deadly horned hoofstock animals, and swarming killer insects in the world, you picked a monitor lizard to be MOST afraid of!?! What?

I'm not claiming it is a rational fear. I can't explain it. I would rather be in a swimming pool with a great white than in a cage with a Komodo. Don't get me wrong, I'm scared of snakes and many other animals too. I'm a big wuss with lots of these animals. But at the end of the day, in the old game of "What animal would you least like to be trapped in a cage with?", my answer is always Komodo Dragon. (or Oprah).

I can appreciate the majesty and prowess of the animal. They are amazing creatures, but they just scare the living crap out of me!!

"Occasionally they consume humans and human corpses, digging up bodies from shallow graves. This habit of raiding graves caused the villagers of Komodo to move their graves from sandy to clay ground and pile rocks on top of them to deter the lizards.".

I mean come on, really???

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
EricIvins said:
DeanS said:

Animals hatched abroad by animals loaned out by a Gov't are still property of the original Gov't

This is ONLY the case with Giant pandas! The first zoo to get Komodos was the National Zoo...and they were all males! Guess what! They've been reproducing successfully since the 70s. Metrozoo Miami has been successful as well since the 80s. Some of the dragons here in the states were gifts BTW! Do a little more research! I worked for San Diego Zoo and Lion Country Safari for a number of years...I've corresponded with some of the most knowledgeable people in the business. What you are reciting sounds more like the grumbles of a third rate rescue...muxh less anyone with any real grasp of CITES and import/export SOPs! Keep trying!;)

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
my advice is to volunteer with a local zoo that has komodos... you most likely won't be doing hands on work with them, that is pretty limited. Our angel is a very smart guy, but only a short few members of the reptile staff do hands-on work with him. BUT, you may get to feed/be closer to one than you ever thought by volunteering.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Robert said:
Tom said:

I'm not claiming it is a rational fear. I can't explain it. I would rather be in a swimming pool with a great white than in a cage with a Komodo. Don't get me wrong, I'm scared of snakes and many other animals too. I'm a big wuss with lots of these animals. But at the end of the day, in the old game of "What animal would you least like to be trapped in a cage with?", my answer is always Komodo Dragon. (or Oprah).

I can appreciate the majesty and prowess of the animal. They are amazing creatures, but they just scare the living crap out of me!!

"Occasionally they consume humans and human corpses, digging up bodies from shallow graves. This habit of raiding graves caused the villagers of Komodo to move their graves from sandy to clay ground and pile rocks on top of them to deter the lizards.".

I mean come on, really???

Well coyotes, rats, dermestid beetles, roaches, crabs, domestic dogs and a whole host of other animals will dig up a free meal... is that your criterion? HAHA. I'm just funnin' with ya Rob. I won't even go in a swimming pool alone. Someone else has to be in there first. I'll do night dives in the ocean off of a boat, but someone else has to go first. We all have our "things"...

Status
Not open for further replies.