Kuwa Mulberries?

Loohan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North-Central Arkansas
https://oikostreecrops.com/products/kuwa-mulberry-seeds/?search=kumu-s

I just got in some of these seeds, which i am about to try planting.
First i ever heard of this plant.

Kuwa can be found all over the mountains of Japan where it is made into tea. The berries are not insipid or watery making the fruit perfect for fresh eating or jam. This species is self-fertile. Prefers a well-drained soil and can grow in part shade. The seed is easy to germinate. Just sprinkle it on the surface of the soil or lightly cover and keep moist. Germination will occur in two weeks. There is no dormancy required. This plant is hardy in zone 5 and one of the easiest mulberries to grow from seed and get to fruit in 3-6 years from seed -trees will be 3-5 ft. when they start to fruit. Although the berries are smaller than most mulberries the flavor is truly lucious and worth eating fresh as they ripen in mid July here in southwestern Michigan. Watch out for white tail deer browsing. They love the foliage.

Seeds per Packet: 40

Germination: 2-4 weeks

Plant: 1/8 inch deep or less by sprinkling the seeds on the surface of the soil. Watch out for slugs. They seem to love the newly sprouted seedlings. No dormancy for this species and you can just plant after danger of frost if you are planting outside. For inside pot grown plants, use the same method but careful about over watering as the seedlings damp off easily in high organic soils. For storage of the seeds, just refrigerate or store dry. Do not freeze the seed. There is no dormancy with this seed so you can plant anytime after danger of frost whether in pots or outside.

- See more at: https://oikostreecrops.com/products/kuwa-mulberry-seeds/?search=kumu-s#sthash.zkLs4G5g.dpuf

JustLivingLife714

5 Year Member
California
https://oikostreecrops.com/products/kuwa-mulberry-seeds/?search=kumu-s

I just got in some of these seeds, which i am about to try planting.
First i ever heard of this plant.

Kuwa can be found all over the mountains of Japan where it is made into tea. The berries are not insipid or watery making the fruit perfect for fresh eating or jam. This species is self-fertile. Prefers a well-drained soil and can grow in part shade. The seed is easy to germinate. Just sprinkle it on the surface of the soil or lightly cover and keep moist. Germination will occur in two weeks. There is no dormancy required. This plant is hardy in zone 5 and one of the easiest mulberries to grow from seed and get to fruit in 3-6 years from seed -trees will be 3-5 ft. when they start to fruit. Although the berries are smaller than most mulberries the flavor is truly lucious and worth eating fresh as they ripen in mid July here in southwestern Michigan. Watch out for white tail deer browsing. They love the foliage.

Seeds per Packet: 40

Germination: 2-4 weeks

Plant: 1/8 inch deep or less by sprinkling the seeds on the surface of the soil. Watch out for slugs. They seem to love the newly sprouted seedlings. No dormancy for this species and you can just plant after danger of frost if you are planting outside. For inside pot grown plants, use the same method but careful about over watering as the seedlings damp off easily in high organic soils. For storage of the seeds, just refrigerate or store dry. Do not freeze the seed. There is no dormancy with this seed so you can plant anytime after danger of frost whether in pots or outside.

- See more at: https://oikostreecrops.com/products/kuwa-mulberry-seeds/?search=kumu-s#sthash.zkLs4G5g.dpuf

How'd that work out for you?

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
How'd that work out for you?

Not good. I could not get the seeds to sprout. Still have some in the fridge; maybe if I wait for real warm weather...
And googling it, it doesn't look like anyone is seliing the plants, not even the one company selling the seeds. That was 3 years ago and they still aren't selling plants.